Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm hopefully going to be applying to the UCAS as a mature student next year to do an Asian language, I'm currently obsessed with 5 cultures and would be happy to focus on any one of them ( Arabian, Persian, Chinese, Korean and Japanese) but lately have wanted to focus a lot on something I feel strongly about which are women's rights and LGBT rights in the Middle East.

I was just wondering where in your opinion is the best place to study Arabic and Persian or the other ones I've mentioned.Oxbridge is not an option, my grades aren't that superb. At the moment I'm in between SOAS, Leeds, and Exeter and Manchester, however the locations of the latter 3 are putting me off.

Thanking you.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to point out that Arabic isn't an asian language.. it's Arabic (Arab)

Alsooo it depends on what type of environment you want to study at. I think Leeds and Manchester are good options personally.. also Manchester doesn't let Persian students go to abroad to study and i'm not sure if Persian is an option at Leeds. Leeds go on their arabic year abroad in the 2nd year (to Morocco or Egypt) where as Manchester go on their 3rd year (to Egypt or Jordan). Exeter is supposed to be an excellent uni but i was put off my the location and distance. I've heard about drop out rates for Arabic at SOAS and apparently they're a very left wing uni (not sure if that's a problem).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.