Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

majestic display of football Watch

ReputationRep:
    one of my housemates was one of those guys who were quick and confident to say messi > zidane without even knowing who zidane is. i showed him this video and it stunned him. i asked him again if he thinks messi is on ZZ's level and he sort of mumbled "still think he's slightly better" (said it to save face, i could tell by the look on his face that he realised how stupid he was for saying it)

please take 6 minutes of ur life to watch yet another flawless performance from zidane (so much time on the ball and literally doesn't put a single foot wrong). every touch he took of the ball vs sevilla :

3 goals and 1 assist for those stat whores. can anyone honestly watch this whole video and still claim messi is anywhere near this guy?

ReputationRep:
    4:18 - 4:24

the play is ridiculous. god-like football from zidane

ReputationRep:
    One game does not a footballer make.

In addition I've not seen anything in that video to convince me Zidane is better than messi. I think you need a cup of water and lie down while you rethink your opinion.

He was a brilliant player and certainly one of the best in the world, but I think there's no question that messi is clearly better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevlar.kelmet)
    One game does not a footballer make.

In addition I've not seen anything in that video to convince me Zidane is better than messi. I think you need a cup of water and lie down while you rethink your opinion.

He was a brilliant player and certainly one of the best in the world, but I think there's no question that messi is clearly better.
    zidane was very consistent. when u come out with "one game does not make a footballer" to players like ZZ i know instantly get the impression that u know nothing about him. he made his name by being the most consistent big game performer. if u want another game how about this? EASILY the best world cup performance ever (vs brazil in the final):

this is an event messi will never get to play in. zidane won france their first world cup, then came out of retirement as an old man and almost single-handedly won them another.

u are comparing a god of football to some argentinian dwarf. ZZ has won every possible title/cup at club+country level and every personal honour too. he did this in the golden age of football too (when players like henry, fat ronaldo, ronaldinho etc. were around). what has messi won? a couple la liga's and champions leagues lool

ReputationRep:
    when messi can score a volley like this on his weaker foot (champions league final) we'll talk:

or when he can score a penalty like this at 0-0 in a world cup final vs the worlds best keeper:

ReputationRep:
    who remembers messi's penalty miss vs chelsea in last years champions league that got barca knocked out? rofl

ReputationRep:
    I remember zidane getting sent off thus leaving France ****ed... Imbecile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that was his world cup final to lose - without him they would not have even got past the group stages. and it happened late in the second half of extra time anyway, there was no guarantee that they would have won it

what he did had nothing to do with his footballing ability. he didn't choke a penalty kick, he headbutted a skinny italian guy to the ground.

still has a world cup and the most world cup final goals under his belt. sup?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd still say that Messi is better. Zidane was a great midfielder, brilliant at reading and controlling the game, making the correct decisions for passes and dummies etc. the majority of the time when most other players wouldn't. That was his greatest quality really. I think Messi uses his brain amazingly on the pitch as well though, choosing key passes, dribbles, places to poach goals etc. They both have had many moments of genius, but I think that in terms of things like ball control while dribbling at speed, and subtle body feints to beat defenders, Messi often does things instinctively that Zidane physically wouldn't have been able to.

ReputationRep:
    Two completely different players. Can't compare. Zidane's career is long over and it is therefore quite easy to judge him, and quite rightly, as one of the all time greats. Messi is still young and has a long career ahead of him. He may continue to score tonnes of goals, he may go 5 years without scoring. It'll be easier to judge him once his career is over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Personally I'd still say that Messi is better. Zidane was a great midfielder, brilliant at reading and controlling the game, making the correct decisions for passes and dummies etc. the majority of the time when most other players wouldn't. That was his greatest quality really. I think Messi uses his brain amazingly on the pitch as well though, choosing key passes, dribbles, places to poach goals etc. They both have had many moments of genius, but I think that in terms of things like ball control while dribbling at speed, and subtle body feints to beat defenders, Messi often does things instinctively that Zidane physically wouldn't have been able to.
    for someone of zidane's height and build he had impossible technique. yes he could never physically do things that messi could - messi is a lot smaller and quicker. he will lose pace as he gets older and he was already better than he is now 2 years ago (when barca won that CL). i see him lose the ball 20 times before he successfully does his famous dribble, and it has cost barcelona (e.g. when he lost the ball for ramires to score vs chelsea last season, and the very first el classico he lost the ball twice which lead madrid to score and win)

with zidane - whenever he tried to go past a player it worked. whenever he tried a skill or flick it would come off 100% of the time. he was a lot more sensible on the ball and another thing people seem to forget is that he has proven himself on every possible level. went to italy - won everything. went to spain -won everything. won everything on the international scale and every personal honour too

messi has played in the same amount of world cups as zidane already and has looked like a player who can't perform outside of barcelona. he wasn't even their best player in 2010 world cup, tevez was. u need to consider these things.. when i see him play i really don't think "this is the greatest player to ever come on a football pitch". great great players do not miss penalties like the one he did last year, especially when they are the reason their team is down in the first place

how is he better than maradona anyway? yeah he can smash ****ty spanish teams like getafe, but maradona carried napoli to the title at a time defending was considered an ART and they weren't favourites. plus he's a world cup winner (and the most influencial player for the win).

maradona, zidane, pele, fat ronaldo = stand-out performers to win their countries world cups

messi = can't even be a stand-out performer in a semi-final team

ReputationRep:
    Messi is definitely better. Although Zidane was good on the eye, his goal and assist record doesn't hold up well enough. Great player, but by no means perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabluigi)
    Messi is definitely better. Although Zidane was good on the eye, his goal and assist record doesn't hold up well enough. Great player, but by no means perfect.
    that 1 assist to knock brazil out in the 2006 world cup is more important than any of messi's goals

same with those 2 goals in 1998 world cup final

goal/assist stats don't determine how good a player is. he controlled matches like it was a game of chess xavi and iniesta also have poor goal/assist stats, but once again - that 1 goal from iniesta to win spain the world cup is more important than anythnig messi has done in his career.

e.g.

watch from 1:20+, shows how he carried france in 2006

edit: iniesta euro 2012: 0 goals 0 assists, still wins the golden ball. hows that for a statistic?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    either way more people will remember the brilliant headbutt over the team that won the world cup. So he wins either way.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyed the video but Dele Adebola could look good on Youtube.

That was ****ing glorious. Still doesn't make him better than Messi though. Greats like Zidane would view this "Who's better?" and ranking etc. as puerile anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Enjoyed the video but Dele Adebola could look good on Youtube.
    show me a video showing all of adebola's touches in a match and we'll compare

btw notice that not only does zidane score a hattrick and get an assist, he also NEVER loses the ball

here is zidane ejaculating on the mothers of all the big spanish superstars today:

ReputationRep:
    I think there has been a glitch in the matrix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    show me a video showing all of adebola's touches in a match and we'll compare

btw notice that not only does zidane score a hattrick and get an assist, he also NEVER loses the ball

here is zidane ejaculating on the mothers of all the big spanish superstars today:

Forgot Spain were powerhouses in 2006.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot Spain were powerhouses in 2006.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.