Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will running alone help me shift some pounds? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Just wondering if you can give me some advice? I've been going to the gym regularly for the past three months now and along with a complete overhaul of my diet, I've managed to lose over a stone in weight up to date.

I'm currently 9"2 (and 5'6 if that matters). A couple of weeks ago my gym membership ran out and I'm switching to a different one but won't be able to get a membership for a couple of weeks.

The past couple of weeks I've been going on runs as I really enjoy it. I run about 6K normally but could probably go a bit further at a push. I'm really happy with my weight now but I'd still like to lose a bit more. Will just running alone help me lose some more weight? I go running about 3/4 times a week. Usually takes me around 40 mins to run 6K.

Anything else I need to be doing to help the weight loss along that I can just do at home or will just running be okay? I also eat healthily and eat around 1,200 calories a day.

Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely, you will be burning a lot of calories by running that far
    As long as you don't come back from a run and order a Domino's, you're all good!
    Have carbohydrates before you exercise and protein afterwards, as a rule of thumb.

ReputationRep:
    If you just ran and didn't gym you would still lose weight but it's also really important to do strength training.

I trained for the Brighton Marathon and found that just running alone wasn't good enough; I needed cross training and strength training to tone up all over and decrease the risk of injury.

Food is really important as well. I found that just because I ran and worked out didn't mean I could eat what I wanted. By focusing on healthy food high in calories but low in saturated fat, it really helped me become lean.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried pilates/yoga? It's so gentle and not high intensity like cardio, but the muscle tone and strengthening can improve your body for other areas of fitness - before doing pilates I used to struggle with running, particularly as I have weak hips, but one session a week at the gym means I'm so much fitter and able to do more cardio than I did before! It boosted my weight loss a lot, and having something low intensity really helped shake up my fitness routine and make it more interesting

ReputationRep:
    Forget running, and start eating more. 1200 calories is nowhere near enough. That is not healthy.

ReputationRep:
    You could alternate running and long walks to lose weight.. But you should also do some anaerobic exercises as stomach crunches to define your muscles.. 1200 calories are few if you train a lot.. You should eat more.. Reducing fats is the most important thing.. But do not avoid carbohydrates which give you energy...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I also agree with the above posts, 1200 is not enough calories if you exercise regularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.

In regards to the 1,200 calories thing, I've been using the My Fitness Pal app and have just been going off of that based on my height, weight and how much I want to lose each week. I do make sure to eat more (not pig out mind you and so much that I just cancel out the calories I burn) sufficiently on the days I go for a run.

I've gotten down to 9 stone now, lost 2lbs this week so the running has done me good! If I lose a few more pounds then great but I'm mostly going to be focusing on maintaining my weight now so the My Fitness Pal app has upped my calories to 1,450 so I will be eating more.

I'd really like to tone up now and some of you have already said that running isn't enough just to tone up. When I was at the gym I used to go on the weights but on the low impact ones. If I carry on with the low impacts when I join my new gym, will I tone up? Or would you suggest some different types of weights?

I'm a complete muscle/toning novice so any advice on that would be a big help. I also don't think I will be able to join my new gym until the end of May. Any muscle building stuff I can do at home in the meantime with affordable weights?

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.