Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a massively stupid thread, I'm aware.
    But I come from a massively hot city and I barely have winter, let alone a cold one!
    I came to visit Durham in March (supposedly spring?), and that was basically colder than Italian mid-winter.
    Although I am not a fan of our heat, so I love colder weathers and I was fine with a heavy parka.

So! you pioneers of sub-zero temperatures, will you be so kind as to enlighten me?
    What the eff am I supposed to bring, alternatively phrased: is there anything specific or necessary for cold winters in Durham, or am I just being my usual anxious and ridiculous self?
    Is this an issue at all? Just slap a down jacket on and hope I don't freeze?

I hope you pass over the sheer ridiculousness of this thread and help a girl out.

Goodness! It might yet a bit chilly in the UK, especially further north, but there's no need to worry!

Just get a few jumpers and fleeces and a nice warm coat. Maybe a hat/scarf/glove set if you want to be really snug!

Just chill :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laStrada)
    This may seem like a massively stupid thread, I'm aware.
    But I come from a massively hot city and I barely have winter, let alone a cold one!
    I came to visit Durham in March (supposedly spring?), and that was basically colder than Italian mid-winter.
    Although I am not a fan of our heat, so I love colder weathers and I was fine with a heavy parka.

So! you pioneers of sub-zero temperatures, will you be so kind as to enlighten me?
    What the eff am I supposed to bring, alternatively phrased: is there anything specific or necessary for cold winters in Durham, or am I just being my usual anxious and ridiculous self?
    Is this an issue at all? Just slap a down jacket on and hope I don't freeze?

I hope you pass over the sheer ridiculousness of this thread and help a girl out.
    Some decent boots that can cope with snow would be a good idea, given how ridiculous it was recently. Think that's the only thing I have to add to the above post.

Also, a note that hoodies are pretty popular general wear for students here, which ten to be quite good with temperatures. Picking up a college hoody in the first stash order is often a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    The Barbour Jacket is coming out for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely gloves and a scarf. It gets pretty bitter out there in winter. Layer up!
    Wellies are good for snow and a lot of students wear them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.