Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unsure of how to approach this really ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have a different taste in girls than a lot of my friends ... (I crush easily on really shy nerdy girls - and it doesn't seem to matter what they look like)

People I know consider me confident and smart (and good looking), so when they find out I have a particular crush on any type of "nerdy" girl they look down on me and make fun of me for it.

Recently I have had a crush on someone. She is in her 2nd year of College (I'm a first year). We take similar lessons but we never clash as we are not in the same year.
    We also don't have any mutual friends, however she is friends with someone whom my friends really "hate".

I have no trouble talking to Women, but whenever it is the "shy girl" I get really nervous and shy myself ... whenever I see this girl I start blushing and feel really nervous ... I am finding this very odd as as far as I know she doesn't even know I exist !
    I see her a lot and she has been to some of the science talks I have organised ... but there may not be another this year (And she won't be here next year)

I really want to act on this crush, but I honestly have no idea what to do ... randomly going up to her and talking to her will just come across as weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'veGotAHadron)
    I seem to have a different taste in girls than a lot of my friends ... (I crush easily on really shy nerdy girls - and it doesn't seem to matter what they look like)

People I know consider me confident and smart (and good looking), so when they find out I have a particular crush on any type of "nerdy" girl they look down on me and make fun of me for it.

Recently I have had a crush on someone. She is in her 2nd year of College (I'm a first year). We take similar lessons but we never clash as we are not in the same year.
    We also don't have any mutual friends, however she is friends with someone whom my friends really "hate".

I have no trouble talking to Women, but whenever it is the "shy girl" I get really nervous and shy myself ... whenever I see this girl I start blushing and feel really nervous ... I am finding this very odd as as far as I know she doesn't even know I exist !
    I see her a lot and she has been to some of the science talks I have organised ... but there may not be another this year (And she won't be here next year)

I really want to act on this crush, but I honestly have no idea what to do ... randomly going up to her and talking to her will just come across as weird?
    First things first - stop caring what your mates think - they wont be the ones dating her!
    Secondly, unless you talk to her she will never find out that you exist so act on it!
    I get it when you say you're shy but if you want to give it a shot with this girl then you gotta roll the dice and take a shot
    Don't worry about her not being there next year either cause my bf is now in Uni and I'm still in college this year so if it does get serious it CAN still work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    First things first - stop caring what your mates think - they wont be the ones dating her!
    Secondly, unless you talk to her she will never find out that you exist so act on it!
    I get it when you say you're shy but if you want to give it a shot with this girl then you gotta roll the dice and take a shot
    Don't worry about her not being there next year either cause my bf is now in Uni and I'm still in college this year so if it does get serious it CAN still work
    So even if we don't have any mutual friends or anything like that ... just go up to her and talk to her? What would I even say?

ReputationRep:
    So even if we don't have any mutual friends or anything like that ... just go up to her and talk to her? What would I even say?
    You don't have to look creepy you know - it's fine to be friendly
    If she's sitting there sit close by or something or say hi and smile this sometimes can be enough to get a conversation going
    Failing that would you know which subjects/hobbies she's interesed in if you've heard her talking with others?
    Don't act like you've been earwigging, mind but just anything that could make a talking point

Can you think of anything that would allow you to start a conversation with her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    You don't have to look creepy you know - it's fine to be friendly
    If she's sitting there sit close by or something or say hi and smile this sometimes can be enough to get a conversation going
    Failing that would you know which subjects/hobbies she's interesed in if you've heard her talking with others?
    Don't act like you've been earwigging, mind but just anything that could make a talking point

Can you think of anything that would allow you to start a conversation with her?
    Well she seems interested in Physics .. I've organised some speakers to come in from Uni's to give talks at our College on different areas of science and she has been to a few ...
    I could probably just walk up to her and ask what she thought of them? They were quite a while ago though ...

ReputationRep:

Aw you sound so cute

ReputationRep:
    Well she seems interested in Physics .. I've organised some speakers to come in from Uni's to give talks at our College on different areas of science and she has been to a few ...
    I could probably just walk up to her and ask what she thought of them? They were quite a while ago though ...
    :yep: Go for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.