Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That half the reason people feel the need to fill their lives up with meaningless routines is because they can't stand to be faced with themselves?

(Original post by josh_cook)
    That half the reason people feel the need to fill their lives up with meaningless routines is because they can't stand to be faced with themselves?
    To some extent we're just 'victims of circumstance' in that we're animals with evolved instincts which drive our behaviour. Sure, our big brains allow us to engage in flights of fancy but we still must eat, sleep, wipe our arses and so on. I'm not being anti-philosophical here, far from it, but in the end, a little like Voltaire's Candide, we end up having to get on with what is oftent he tedium of life, whether self-directed or expected of us by the machinery of wider society.

I'm not sure there's a requisite for everything we do to be 'meaningful' even if we fully 'face ourselves' (I assume that by the latter you mean things like embracing the human condition and accepting what one is like as a person).

There can certainly be comfort in the familiarity of routine. Perhaps the opposite of your proposal is true: it is precisely through repetition and routine that we come to create and understand who (we think) we are.

(Original post by uthred50)
    I'm not sure there's a requisite for everything we do to be 'meaningful' even if we fully 'face ourselves' (I assume that by the latter you mean things like embracing the human condition and accepting what one is like as a person).

There can certainly be comfort in the familiarity of routine. Perhaps the opposite of your proposal is true: it is precisely through repetition and routine that we come to create and understand who (we think) we are.
    There's definately a phenomenon in which people who have engaged in a particular job for many years tend to understand themselves in relation to that job, i.e. they 'are' what they do. This can cause psychological problems for some when they retire, or suffer redundancy, because it's as if their primary reason for being has died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthred50)

That was sort of my point though, that we have to allow ourselves to identify with things that are not us (through routine jobs etc) to help ground ourselves existentially, whereas without routine we are forced to think about ourselves and that how in reality we don't really have any given purpose.

ReputationRep:
    We are beings that long for certainty and permenancy and so therefore we are beings of habit.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Well, a little I suppose, but I don't think that's why people end up with lives full of 'meaningless' routines. It's actually quite difficult to live in accordance with how you really want to. First of all you need to figure out what it is you actually want - an exceptionally difficult question for most - and once you've figured that out, you need to actively dismantle whatever routines you already have that are preventing you from moving to where you want to be, and replace them with ones that will get you there.

You might say of my life that it's full of meaningless routine (and on the surface it may well appear to be), but it is the best possible life for me at the moment. I go to work, do my hobbies, TSR, etc., all in fairly regular routine, but each of them is necessary or conducive for becoming the person who I want to be. But it's how you say - in some way, when I see other people working difficult, unrewarding jobs, with no idea what they want in life - I wonder how they got there. Maybe you are right and they are scared to face themselves, but also I think it is just too easy to get caught up in monotony, to get bogged down and dominated by trivialities so that your whole life becomes a small bubble. It seems too sad to me.

I don't want to live like that. As far as we know, we only get one shot here, so best to make it count. :top:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by josh_cook)
    Some of them are satisfied to lead a meaningless routine. But in the other hand it is the highest priority to have a safe basis of existence. There are enough people who don't have enough time to change the living conditions, as most of them are too busy to manage their life. Most of them have no time to think about the circumstances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.