Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year at university but due to personal and other family problems i've not been doing great on my course. I knew that i did not like my course before the first semester even ended and that i had made a mistake in choosing this degree. However i couldn't withdraw and start again in september for a different degree because i would owe student finance a portion of my fees and loans that i would have to pay back which i couldn't afford and my mum did not want me to waste the money.

I got a conditional offer from a different university to start their 2nd year in september provided i finish my first year hear and get over a certain percentage, however due to illness i don't think i will be able to get that. I think it would be best for my to start all over again from my first year seeing as i don't remember learning anything significant this year anyway.

Will student finance still loan me my fees to start my first year again in september if i fail my first year?
    Will i still have to pay back the fees for my current first year even though i completed the year but failed?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The SLC will fund you for one false start, so you'll be fine to repeat the year. You just can't fail again.

And you'll have to pay back this year's loan when you earn enough to start repayments. Obviously you can't just keep it forever, but they won't demand money straight away. If you drop out before the end of the year they may ask for something back straight away, or they may agree to take it from your next year allowance.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, when I was doing my registration in SLC in the section Country of nationality it is UK, but I am not from UK. Is this a problem???? Should it be my country??? PLEASE ANSWER, IT'S URGENT !!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.