Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we be worried about loosing our right to free speech here in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the girl who was forced to resign from her new role as police youth commissioner.

Can I still exercise free speach without fearing being penalised in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As our social order progresses free speech will become increasingly more restrictive in the name of decency. Decency promises us a predictable and hospitable future. What does it require in return?

Yes, we should be worried about losing our free speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    As our social order progresses free speech will become increasingly more restrictive in the name of decency. Decency promises us a predictable and hospitable future. What does it require in return?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything - fight club

Blessing in disguise?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen. I'd say yes. People have been arrested and prosecuted for saying the 'wrong thing' in the UK. We accept it under the guise of decency, but as a right it is slowly but surely being eroded.

ReputationRep:
    Free speech in a personal role is one thing, but free speech in a professional role is another. Unfortunately for some jobs, personal and professional are inseparable. She hasn't been arrested, she's been forced to step down from her police role after tweeting endorsing illegal drugs, admitting to being racist, condoning her brother assaulting someone.

The simple fact remains, assuming you do not use offensive language, suggest others should commit an act of violence or other crime, or direct a personal attack at someone without good basis. You can say whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Free speech in a personal role is one thing, but free speech in a professional role is another. Unfortunately for some jobs, personal and professional are inseparable. She hasn't been arrested, she's been forced to step down from her police role after tweeting endorsing illegal drugs, admitting to being racist, condoning her brother assaulting someone.
    Wow. How did she ever get the position in the first place.

Fully deserved that firing.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're confused. There's a difference between having a right to free speech and having to face the consequences for using your right to free speech to display to the world that you are a moron and completely unsuitable for a role in which you have been given certain responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    I think you're confused. There's a difference between having a right to free speech and having to face the consequences for using your right to free speech to display to the world that you are a moron and completely unsuitable for a role in which you have been given certain responsibilities.
    No, you're conflating freedom of speech to with the right to criticise. We're talking about being prosecuted for saying 'the wrong thing', not merely being slated and publicly embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    We actually still have free speech?

Coulda fooled me.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, the left killed free speech long ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.