Babysitting - where did I go wrong? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm a bit pissed off and upset. About a month ago, I got contacted by a woman after putting up a babysitting ad in the local newsagents. She wanted me to babysit for her three kids every Thursday night while she played tennis, and I happily obliged. I did it twice, and both times seemed to go well. I'm a friendly person and I didn't just slob out in front of their T.V and eat their food - I played games with the kids, helped them with their homework and generally thought I did a good job of it. Anyway, since then, it's like she's being avoiding me. She phoned me up ten minutes before I was due to babysit saying, "There's a decorator here, I better not go out after all.." May have been true but seemed a bit fishy to me. Then the week after that I texted her to make sure I was coming, and she texted back saying, "Tennis has been cancelled, so I don't need you. Sorry." I was so annoyed that she didn't tell me, and it sounded like a lie anyway.
I saw her the other day when I was shopping and she was looking at the babysitting ads in the newsagents! (She didn't see me). I've just been blown off by them and I don't understand why. It's damaged my self confidence a bit because now I feel like I'm not capable or worthy of doing a good job. I'm really upset. What should I do?

Sorry for the rant guys!
charliefarley4
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
just call her up and ask what you did wrong, its the best way, i know it will seem a bit nerveracking or maybe rude, but how long have u known this lady, 4 weeks? does it really matter if you end up not knowing her? ask her why she is not using you anymore and ask if ther is anything you can do to improve it, once you know what she didnt like, you can work on it for your next employer. maybe the kids didnt like you playing with them, ow old were they?
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just ask if you did anything wrong. As long as you're polite, she can't really object to you asking for an explanation.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At least if you ask her you know where you are.
JadedHippy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe you did too good a job and the kids really liked you. A lot of people don't want their kids getting attached to other people and prefer baby sitters to just 'slob out'.

Jaded
Love Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry about it if you know you did a good job. Just try again, because honestly, there will be loads of people that appreciate you better. And you sound like you did a fantastic job!
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Let that be a lesson to you...

Always Always Always slob out!!!
fakeplasticsmee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^Haha good advice there

But seriously you sound like a great babysitter to me, I wouldn't worry, she sounds like the one with the problem not you.
PlayboyBunny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe recreating

http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/jacko_berlin.jpg

wasn't the best use of your babysitting time.
Champagne-Dahling
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe the kids didn't wanna be "helped" with their h/w, and asked mummy to "get a better babysitter"? Can't blame them after all, they probably wanted to "slob" themselves?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.59%
No - but I will (74)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (451)
47.62%

Watched Threads