Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If someone was ugly would you laugh with your friends? watch

Im just trying to figure out why this group of girls jokingly said behind me "theres your new boyfriend"
    I did let my hair get a bit longer than normal.

But would you respect an ugly person and not joke with your friends?

ReputationRep:
    People say stupid things when they are in groups that often make no sense and it's not uncommon for such comments to be a bit petty or cruel. It's just group immaturity, ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course I'd not joke with my friends, because it would cause hurt feelings towards the targeted person and maybe even lower their confidence. People can't help the way they look but they can control the person they are.

If I respect someone, it depends on what the person is like, etc, etc, but not their looks. An "ugly" person could be very nice, kind, sweet and friendly, lovely to go out with, works their backside off would be someone I'd respect. A person who is regularly called beautiful (take my neighbour who I ranted about in another one of my threads for example) or handsome could be downright rude and mean to everyone around them and because of this, I'd have very little respect for them. When I first meet someone regardless of their face features, personality and age, I always have respect for someone.

Don't let those girls bring you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Yes of course I'd not joke with my friends, because it would cause hurt feelings towards the targeted person and maybe even lower their confidence. People can't help the way they look but they can control the person they are.

If I respect someone, it depends on what the person is like, etc, etc, but not their looks. An "ugly" person could be very nice, kind, sweet and friendly, lovely to go out with, works their backside off would be someone I'd respect. A person who is regularly called beautiful (take my neighbour who I ranted about in another one of my threads for example) or handsome could be downright rude and mean to everyone around them and because of this, I'd have very little respect for them. When I first meet someone regardless of their face features, personality and age, I always have respect for someone.

Don't let those girls bring you down.
    Thankyou, it was in trafalger square and thwy thought i waa out of earshot as they were suprised by me asking them. She then said oh i meant him.
    I guess they thought it was ok as i hadnt got tidy hair as im trying to make it grow a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeery83)
    People say stupid things when they are in groups that often make no sense and it's not uncommon for such comments to be a bit petty or cruel. It's just group immaturity, ignore it.
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    thats rude, people are ignorant and mean these days...just ignore them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    I think everyone has joked about someone else's appearance before. I try to avoid doing it as it is rude, especially in front of the person. If I have a funny comment then I'll wait till the person is gone so they at least won't hear.
    What a charming creature you are

ReputationRep:
    In private, in the open anywhere I never will make fun out of someones looks, though I suppose my own looks would supposedly get made fun out of, just in private not to my face. Either way, I have standards so I won't stoop down to the level of these judgmental sods.

I'd rather make fun out of their behaviour e.g. ''bubble attitude'' ''ignorance'' etc, judging on looks achieves nothing. Looks won't get you a job other than modelling or some small crappy job, its all about qualifications, aspirations and work ethic, so looks don't really come across my mind as being entirely negative

ReputationRep:
    People used to call my boyfriend a transvestite solely because of his tall posture and long blonde hair.
    So yeah, I'm not a fan of mockery. But I'm not afraid to talk back to people who do mock, and I've done it countless times.

ReputationRep:
    People who do that are uglier inside and that's way worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im just trying to figure out why this group of girls jokingly said behind me "theres your new boyfriend"

Yes, because YOLO:

You Only Laugh Once...

...but then maybe a few other times if you see that person again :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighgiles)
    People used to call my boyfriend a transvestite solely because of his tall posture and long blonde hair.
    So yeah, I'm not a fan of mockery. But I'm not afraid to talk back to people who do mock, and I've done it countless times.
    I can't stand people who mock and then say its banter just to excuse it. I hate the whole concept of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eveerybody says things like that. Whenever i used to see a fat African woman i'd say to my mate - 'theirs your bird'. just a bit of fun.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I wouldn't make fun of someone else for their appearance.
    Firstly, it's a horrible thing to do and can be really hurtful especially when they can't help the way they look.
    But also, it's not fair to tease others as nobody is perfect and I have my fair share of blemishes and problems too that some people have made fun of in the past and it's not nice...

ReputationRep:

What's the point in anonymous when we know who you are thanks to you're last thread.. in the maths section that is :P

I respect ugly people, because I'm one of them

(Original post by CodeJack)
    What's the point in anonymous when we know who you are thanks to you're last thread.. in the maths section that is :P

I respect ugly people, because I'm one of them
    I wanted the first message anon so as not to judge in the furst instance

Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    I can't stand people who mock and then say its banter just to excuse it. I hate the whole concept of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mhm. I've been called ugly (merely because I'm not a white and skinny Asian) and other stuff quite a number of times so I sort of know what it feels like to be overly cautious when people start gossiping from behind

ReputationRep:

Nobody is ugly, we are all pretty in our own way
    In all seriousness, I do joke with somebody if they are having a bad hair day or whatever but otherwise I wouldn't just go up to them and be like "lulz. Your ugly"
    I'm not exactly the most beautiful person myself and hey, karma...
    Don't want it to back fire

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand such people and it's mostly girls, the other day I was just sitting alone reading and this group of girls sitting across me were constantly giggling....when I looked up they were making fun of this fat girl's new haircut, a few paces to my right, she noticed and was all red in the face :'( little part of me died...next time I witness something of the sort I wont stay quiet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not.
    People who do (and honestly, there's a LOT of people who do) are cowardly, nasty, shallow people imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.