Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Yesterday I purchased a car (VW Polo) from a dealer (has his own garage) and the car looked good for its age, no problems with body work, I did a test drive and everything seemed normal so I went ahead and bought it which has turned out to be abit of a mistake. The dealer assured me that work has been carried out to repair faults the car had that were found in its last MOT and its current MOT expires in 11 months time and I do have the MOT certificate to say so however whilst driving yesterday, i heard sounds coming from the back while accelerating and a foglight isn't working. I went on the VOSA website to check MOT history and it appears to me that the work that needed to be carried out to pass its MOT last month has not been carried out/ I'm not sure how it then went onto pass the MOT unless the test centre was dodgy.

Now I wasn't told that these faults exist when I bought it, what can I do in this situation?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'd speak to the dealer in the first instance. It sounds like the garage that did the work is at fault rather than the dealer, and if the work is recent then the garage will be obliged to sort out the issues caused by their work done. I'm guessing it was the dealer that paid for the work though so it'd be them that need to chase up the guarantee.

ReputationRep:
    A dealer will usually give you a month warranty with the purchase of a car unless otherwise stipulated. Take it back to them and explain your concerns in a calm manner and they should sort it out for you.

It doesn't sound like much - a bulb for the foglight and the noise from the back could be a heatshield / small hole in the exhaust. Nothing to be overly concerned about

Just make sure they don't fob you off, and if the start being difficult then find out if you have a warranty or not and send them a written letter (not an email).

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I'd speak to the dealer in the first instance. It sounds like the garage that did the work is at fault rather than the dealer, and if the work is recent then the garage will be obliged to sort out the issues caused by their work done. I'm guessing it was the dealer that paid for the work though so it'd be them that need to chase up the guarantee.
    Hey thanks,

It appears that the garage is at fault. The dealer has said to me that I should take it to a mechanic and get a quote and he will refund anything reasonable (by reasonable we're talking about £20-£30 going by his wavelength). My main problem is the dealer I bought it from is more than 100 miles from me so going back to him isn't feasible. I actually phoned the test centre aswell where it had the MOT passed and he said to me to bring it in and he will fix it at no extra cost (hence he probably passed it without carrying out work) but again the test centre is more than 100 miles and if I go there and he decides to not fix it for free then I'll have problems.

The problems listed on MOT certificate were [drive shaft coupling is excessively worn and Anti-roll bar has excessive play in a pin/bush] which seem not to have been fixed.

Left with two options though, either driving back all the way there and making the test centre fix it or getting a quote from local mechanic and I'm unsure whats best to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Hey thanks,

It appears that the garage is at fault. The dealer has said to me that I should take it to a mechanic and get a quote and he will refund anything reasonable (by reasonable we're talking about £20-£30 going by his wavelength). My main problem is the dealer I bought it from is more than 100 miles from me so going back to him isn't feasible. I actually phoned the test centre aswell where it had the MOT passed and he said to me to bring it in and he will fix it at no extra cost (hence he probably passed it without carrying out work) but again the test centre is more than 100 miles and if I go there and he decides to not fix it for free then I'll have problems.

The problems listed on MOT certificate were [drive shaft coupling is excessively worn and Anti-roll bar has excessive play in a pin/bush] which seem not to have been fixed.

Left with two options though, either driving back all the way there and making the test centre fix it or getting a quote from local mechanic and I'm unsure whats best to do.
    Get it done locally. Do you really want to go somewhere that is obviously dodgy? If they lied about doing the work then who knows what else they'll do? It's good that the dealer has offered a refund, try and make sure you do it ASAP before he changes his mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    Get it done locally. Do you really want to go somewhere that is obviously dodgy? If they lied about doing the work then who knows what else they'll do? It's good that the dealer has offered a refund, try and make sure you do it ASAP before he changes his mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd be taking it back to the garage that apparently failed to do the work in the first place! It'd be easy for the dealer to mug him off and simply not cough up the money for the work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.