Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am doing geography,accounts and business studies at a level do l have a chance to become a chartered accountant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coujarnow)
    I am doing geography,accounts and business studies at a level do l have a chance to become a chartered accountant
    Yes- for now aim for at least 320 UCAS points, 340 ideally
    Two main routes
    1) University degree- Any degree would suffice tbh but if you know you want to be an accountant or go into any other finance route, its probably better to do an accounting and finance degree as you can some ACA exemptions
    However, the best A+F courses do require mathematics A level (i.e. LSE, Warwick etc.). But any A+F degree should be good enough as long as you have a 2.1 and have 320+ UCAS points (though some service lines need 300)

2) School Leaver Scheme (with uni)
    KPMG+ Durham, Birmingham, Exeter- 6 year scheme where you get paid 20k at the start, goes up to 43 I think- obtain work experience, an accountancy degree and the ACA qualification
    PwC + Newcastle/Reading- 5 year scheme- Accountancy degree, almost fully ACA qualified, gain experience
    EY+ Lancaster- 5 year scheme as well I think
    BDO Audit, EY Audit/Corporate Finance, Deloitte, Grant Thornton, RSM Tennon, PwC all do other school leaver schemes where no uni is involved

ReputationRep:
    accountancy is the most boring job i can think of! I wouldnt do it if i was paid 100k a year to! rather stack shelves in a supermarket or be a street sweeper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    accountancy is the most boring job i can think of! I wouldnt do it if i was paid 100k a year to! rather stack shelves in a supermarket or be a street sweeper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really, you'd find stacking shelves or cleaning other people's litter your whole life interesting? Each to their own...

Posted from TSR for iPad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aren't you the guy that constantly moans on in the 'I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs' thread? The one who has been unemployed for over 9 month stretches and only recently got their first 'permanent' job since graduating in June 2010?! (One you have now quit, because you can't hold down a job)

No offence, but I doubt you could even get onto an accountancy training contract, so your opinion is kind of worthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevelondon24)
    Aren't you the guy that constantly moans on in the 'I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs' thread? The one who has been unemployed for over 9 month stretches and only recently got their first 'permanent' job since graduating in June 2010?! (One you have now quit, because you can't hold down a job)

No offence, but I doubt you could even get onto an accountancy training contract, so your opinion is kind of worthless.
    Pos rep!

Love how you created a account just to post that

ReputationRep:
    You can be a chartered accountant easily with just a decent degree

UCAS Points do help you start off and get into the better uni, but that's it -- I've been told the significance of UCAS points is becoming less and less by the day for graduates from uni

Do an A+F degree, get a 2:1 or a 1st, you will have up to 9 ACCA exemptions (need to pass the extra 5 professional papers in order to qualify as a Chartered Accountant) - then you're sorted.

My dad is a chartered accountant and his UCAS points aren't as high as some will have you believe, his salary is good too - all this myth about UCAS points is balls as far as I know - only important to get into the university.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS points can't be completely ignored. The big firms have degree and UCAS requirements eg KPMG want at least a 2.1 and 320 UCAS points. Even small firms will find a consistent academic record appealing if they are funding further study. Of course people can and do qualify with poor A levels, but it can limit some options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevelondon24)

So what if i quit my job? jobs come and go..

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who would give up 100k a year to do that lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    Who would give up 100k a year to do that lmao
    i would, happily! - accountancy is just too boring!

ReputationRep:
    i would, happily! - accountancy is just too boring!
    Have you actually tried shelf stacking and accountancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)
    UCAS points can't be completely ignored. The big firms have degree and UCAS requirements eg KPMG want at least a 2.1 and 320 UCAS points. Even small firms will find a consistent academic record appealing if they are funding further study. Of course people can and do qualify with poor A levels, but it can limit some options.
    I'm not saying they should be completely ignored, all I'm saying is the significance of them is lowering and is lower than the type of degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Have you actually tried shelf stacking and accountancy?
    have tried both, yup! Accountancy is Actuarial for dumb people who can't do maths basically. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't shelf stacking equally boring, by the very least? Definitely not so much more enjoyable that I'd give up 100k/year to do it :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    have tried both, yup! Accountancy is Actuarial for dumb people who can't do maths basically. :rolleyes:
    You tried accountancy, so I assume you're not doing it now... what are you doing now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Isn't shelf stacking equally boring, by the very least? Definitely not so much more enjoyable that I'd give up 100k/year to do it :nothing:
    you get to meet interesting people though! I met tim burton, ken livingston, and lots of interesting people around finchley - FAR more interesting than accountants hehe

(Original post by Runninground)
    You tried accountancy, so I assume you're not doing it now... what are you doing now?
    I am doing some analyst type work in harrods, but quitting this friday. I'm going to look at another sector - maybe some programming, maybe try being a gardener, a tree surgeon or working in the outdoor activity sector. I'm also keeping half an eye on the oil and gas sector and will try get some work experience as a geophysicist with an aim of eventually pursuing a career as an exploration geophysicist . wbu?

ReputationRep:
    you get to meet interesting people though! I met tim burton, ken livingston, and lots of interesting people around finchley - FAR more interesting than accountants hehe

I am doing some analyst type work in harrods, but quitting this friday. I'm going to look at another sector - maybe some programming, maybe try being a gardener, a tree surgeon or working in the outdoor activity sector. I'm also keeping half an eye on the oil and gas sector and will try get some work experience as a geophysicist with an aim of eventually pursuing a career as an exploration geophysicist . wbu?
    I'm training as an accountant (do I sound boring? ) but I don't plan to work in a practice for the rest of my life. Once I qualify i'll be looking to start my own firm or become a finance director in new start ups. Unlike you, I like to have a clear path and focus all my efforts on it. Theres nothing wrong with having a load of different careers, but I'd rather work my way up in one specific career than be a 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

I've also worked part time in a retail store (not shelf stacking, but same idea). It was much worse than what I do now. Then it was just a case of see a warehouse location, pick item and give to customer- now repeat. That was the job. I was fed up with it after a month. This job I do now however requires me to think and I already feel that i'm progressing more than I did in the retail job (Not to mention two weeks at my current job pays me more than a month at the retail store )

Oh, and one more thing:
    If it's any help, lots of celebs have accountants, so you can get a fair share of celebs within accountancy too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    I'm not saying they should be completely ignored, all I'm saying is the significance of them is lowering and is lower than the type of degree
    Depends on your career aspirations. If you want to train at a big 4 (or top 20 as far as I know), ucas tariffs are a requirement.

That statement alone proves you know nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    My dad is a chartered accountant and his UCAS points aren't as high as some will have you believe, his salary is good too - all this myth about UCAS points is balls as far as I know - only important to get into the university.
    It's not balls. You will get dinged by the auto filter of most decent sized firms if you have crap A-level grades.

The employment landscape has changed a lot recently - your dad probably got chartered in a time before UCAS points mattered (or probably even existed).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.