The Student Room Group

becoming a chartered accountant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can't believe people are actually taking this rock climber fella seriously.
roughly you need 260 ucas points plus theres a lot more accountancy firms out there than just the top 4 lol. But aim for atleast 280. Degree you can do anything, experience is always good.
Original post by Bill_Gates
roughly you need 260 ucas points plus theres a lot more accountancy firms out there than just the top 4 lol. But aim for atleast 280. Degree you can do anything, experience is always good.

I didn't say that you couldn't get into accountancy without 320. I just meant that was a good place to start. Though i think I've given incorrect info on the ACA exemptions, and got them mixed up with actuarial ones. I've edited my post as a result.

Even 280 is leaning on the low end. Many of the top 50 ask for BBB minimum. I've researched them. BDO and Baker Tilly ask for BBC but further down it gets tougher. Smaller firms are more stringent as they actually need you when they make an investment whereas the big4 have the resources to cope should they need to let people go because they've failed their exams (having said that, it is not easy to get a contract a top 6, but don't expect it to get easier further down the rankings is all I'm saying).
Original post by Makebelieve15
Even 280 is leaning on the low end. Many of the top 50 ask for BBB minimum. I've researched them. BDO and Baker Tilly ask for BBC but further down it gets tougher. Smaller firms are more stringent as they actually need you when they make an investment whereas the big4 have the resources to cope should they need to let people go because they've failed their exams (having said that, it is not easy to get a contract a top 6, but don't expect it to get easier further down the rankings is all I'm saying).

it depends who you know, im talking from personal experience. I know some people who got contracts with firms with 260 ucas points. Its not really that strict tbh it depends how you are in the interview,tests,experience etc.
Because I now hate maths. Even though I could get some kind of mathematical role I don't want one. Accountancy is more suited to my current wants, and I can always move to another sector once I qualify.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it depends who you know, im talking from personal experience. I know some people who got contracts with firms with 260 ucas points. Its not really that strict tbh it depends how you are in the interview,tests,experience etc.

I'd like to see how people with BCC fair with the exams. People who went to Oxford fail these exams.
Original post by Makebelieve15
I'd like to see how people with BCC fair with the exams. People who went to Oxford fail these exams.

Going to oxford does not automatically equal good at their job or good at professional exams. Sure, educational background helps but really it's all about the individual. There are many intelligent people who didnt go to a top uni, or even uni at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending