Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure which section to post this in, sorry to duplicate!

(Original post by pixie b)
    Hello everyone!

I wish to apply for an Adult Nursing degree (Bsc hons.)

I appear to meet the entry requirements criteria, however I am a mature student (33 next year, eek!) my A-levels were awarded in 2001, and from what I gather from the uni websites appear to have "expired"; in that I have to have evidence of academic study within the last 3 or 5 years (depending on which uni the course is at)

I haven't done any studying whatsoever since 2001, I've had children and worked various admin and part-time jobs, none of which are relevant to nursing unfortunately!

The person I spoke to yesterday when I called the enquiries line at one of the unis yesterday seemed to be implying that any course would do, even just a math. & science GCSE refresher? But it seemed rather vague and I'm left slightly baffled!

Could I do this alongside my degree or would I have to complete it first?

Hope someone can help me, TIA!

ReputationRep:
    Hullo. Each University and HE College is different when it comes to what grades they require. I must admit, I have never heard of A-Levels expiring after a certain date. I always assumed that they never expired, but I could well be wrong. I'm going back to Uni in September after finishing education in 2000, so I too am going back after a large gap year away from education (12 Years). I'm reading Software Engineering BSc (Hons). I have a B in English, C in Maths, but I have a MERIT grade in a GNVQ Adv IT. These were worth 160 UCAS points. Having said that, I was invited in for interview for my course, and the chap who did the interview was not overly interested in my past grades, and when I last studied, he was more interested in if I had the hunger to do the degree. Once the interview was concluded, and he was satisfied I wished to do the course, he made me an unconditional offer there and then. Remember though, each University is different, and most tend to be more lenient towards Mature Students. some make accept you're A-Levels and make you an offer, some may want you to complete an Access Course, it all depends. I hope I have helped you a bit, and not confused you even more

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pixie B

I'm in pretty much the same position as you, so I decided to do an Access to HE course. My best friend did one last year and had a great experience with it. He said that it was so good to get back into the habit of learning in a formal environment, and there are (I believe) Access to Nursing courses, so it would be relevant to your degree too! Does take a year in itself, but from what I've seen, you won't regret it.

There's a search function on the Access to HE website that lets you look for courses in your area. Good luck!

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSite...ch/search.aspx

ReputationRep:
    A levels don't "expire" - they're a qualification for life. However, many unis will want evidence of recent study if you've been out of education for a while. This could mean doing more A Levels, an Access course or they may take professional experience into account. Depends on the uni and the course - they can be decided on a case-by-case basis. For example there were two mature students on my undergrad degree. I didn't have to do an Access course but the other one did. I'd been doing odd online courses for interest (not necessarily related to my degree) over the previous two years and one of my tutors wrote my academic reference, which seems to have provided the proof my course leader wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies!

Sorry to confuse you- I know A-levels don't literally expire, I put in inverted commas because it felt a little bit like that (I must admit I felt slightly frustrated!) as I had quite good grades (B for English and Psychology, C for Eng.Lit and D for gen.studies); good enough to meet entry requirements but then it goes on to say BUT if they weren't studied for in the last 3/5 years then they're insufficient!

My husband found out about something called MSAP, it appears to be an aptitude-test-style one-off exam that I can do instead, does anyone know anything about that? Hopefully that should suffice!

I'm submitting my UCAS application anyways- I just need to finish my personal statement and receive my referral... CelticSymphony67 that sounds encouraging to read about your interview experience, perhaps my interviewer will overlook the 12-year gap if I demonstrate how keen I am

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies!

Sorry to confuse you- I know A-levels don't literally expire, I put in inverted commas because it felt a little bit like that (I must admit I felt slightly frustrated!) as I had quite good grades (B for English and Psychology, C for Eng.Lit and D for gen.studies); good enough to meet entry requirements but then it goes on to say BUT if they weren't studied for in the last 3/5 years then they're insufficient!

My husband found out about something called MSAP, it appears to be an aptitude-test-style one-off exam that I can do instead, does anyone know anything about that? Hopefully that should suffice!

I'm submitting my UCAS application anyways- I just need to finish my personal statement and receive my referral... CelticSymphony67 that sounds encouraging to read about your interview experience, perhaps my interviewer will overlook the 12-year gap if I demonstrate how keen I am
    A fair few places do ask if you could take part in a short entrance style exam, to see if you are up to pace to do the course. There are no guidelines as such, it really is each place to it's own, so to speak. Interviewers are a lot more lenient to Mature Students, than to the youngsters who are still in FE. The key for you is, to show that you have a passion for the course, you have the time to do the course in campus and outside the campus (30 hours a week reading and working outside campus for a Full Time Degree), and you will get you're head down to do the course. That is a lot more important to tutors and course leaders than the gap since when you last did education.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that MSAP-UK (make sure you're not looking at the Irish one unless you're aiming for Cork, Dublin or Galway) is just in its pilot phase at the moment. I can only find it being used for mature student entry to specific departments at Salford Uni this year. Registration closes on 29th April, so you'll need to be quick if that's going to work for you.

http://msap-uk.acer.edu.au/universit...ity-of-salford

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.