Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm looking for people's opinions on doing the UKCAT a year early as a practice run. I'm not great in exams and often let the pressure get to me, consequently making stupid mistakes such as misreading things. I've read that loads of people perform better on their second attempt at the UKCAT, I presume this is because they have had the experience the first time - it's not new, so to speak.

I was therefore considering paying the £65 this year to practice it before doing it properly next year. I know people will say it's expensive, but in all honesty I don't resent £60 if it will help my application in the long run. It also means I get to understand areas that I will need to improve on and such.

What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people do this, and to be honest I don't really think it's necessary as the practice tests you are given (plus the ones you can buy from 600Q book, Medify etc) are more than enough to see you through the real thing. That said, it can be hard to properly simulate test conditions and timing and you may see a benefit from a real practice run. On the other hand it could be demoralising, or you may (and probably will from experience!) forget the whole thing by the following year and it'll be a waste of time anyway.

I'd recommend practising thoroughly in the same year you intend to take it, a couple of months prior to the exam at most.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would help and if it doesn't got well on the practice run you'll end up panicking more for the real thing. Spend that money next year on medify/ books etc.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time and money imho, enjoy your summer holiday and get the practice books next year like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its worth it, if you do enough practice under test conditions you should be familiar with the test setup in the real thing. (massive tip: use thhe numberpad for the calculator, dont click!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicMan)
    I dont think its worth it, if you do enough practice under test conditions you should be familiar with the test setup in the real thing. (massive tip: use thhe numberpad for the calculator, dont click!)
    I clicked, i found it much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    I clicked, i found it much easier.
    Blah, I found the numpad much easier but I suppose it depends what you're most used to in every day life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd say do it if you want the confidence, any practice is good practice and there's no book/online resource/etc. that can get you used to the real thing. In hindsight, I would have probably done a practice run if I thought about it well enough in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.