Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, and my mum and her partner are saying it's time for me to learn how to drive. I'm kinda scared about it.

First of all, I have a horrible memory, and the thought of having to memorise so many things to do with driving is making me nervous. I forget EVERYTHING, no matter what I do. You can tell me something and literally 30 minutes later I'll have mostly forgotten it. I've had this issue all my life and I just can't remember anything. I've tried loads of memory exercises and none of them seem to work. Things just won't stick in my brain. Things like song lyrics and names I'm fine with. Notes, numbers, stories and dialogue, nope.

Second, when I'm a situation where I know I have to focus and do well, my brain goes crazy and I freeze up, can't remember anything, feel sick, shake and get headaches. It happens in exams and assessments and this is why I'm scared of sitting a driving test as I know this will happen to me and I'm worried I'll end up failing.

I'm so nervous but they really want me to start lessons. I'm just scared I'll mess the whole thing up and end up failing.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to worry about dude, honestly

You won't be doing the test straight away, and your instructor will tell you when you are ready, they are best placed to know who is able to pass

Also, when you start lessons it will be on really quiet residential streets near your house, so you should know the area, and it will be at a pace comfortable for you; and, your instructor should have dual controls so they will be able to break the car for you if needed.

It will be a genuinley safe environment, and nobody will be assessing you straight away at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YikezItzAmy)
    I'm 19, and my mum and her partner are saying it's time for me to learn how to drive. I'm kinda scared about it.

First of all, I have a horrible memory, and the thought of having to memorise so many things to do with driving is making me nervous. I forget EVERYTHING, no matter what I do. You can tell me something and literally 30 minutes later I'll have mostly forgotten it. I've had this issue all my life and I just can't remember anything. I've tried loads of memory exercises and none of them seem to work. Things just won't stick in my brain. Things like song lyrics and names I'm fine with. Notes, number, stories and dialogue, nope.

Second, when I'm a situation where I know I have to focus and do well, my brain goes crazy and I freeze up, can't remember anything, feel sick, shake and get headaches. It happens in exams and assessments and this is why I'm scared of sitting a driving test as I know this will happen to me and I'm worried I'll end up failing.

I'm so nervous but they really want me to start lessons. I'm just scared I'll mess the whole thing up and end up failing.
    Forget what THEY want you to do, listen to what YOU want to do.

Do you wish to learn to drive at all in life? If you don't want to (think clearly - ignore any scared thoughts) then don't learn.

However, if you can imagine yourself driving in a couple of years time confidently everywhere & enjoying it, then put behind all that irrational fear, and learn. Simple.

EDIT: Also remember that there have been millions in your current situation - the fear eventually goes away once you start getting the hold of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Forget what THEY want you to do, listen to what YOU want to do.

Do you wish to learn to drive at all in life? If you don't want to (think clearly - ignore any scared thoughts) then don't learn.

However, if you can imagine yourself driving in a couple of years time confidently everywhere & enjoying it, then put behind all that irrational fear, and learn. Simple.

EDIT: Also remember that there have been millions in your current situation - the fear eventually goes away once you start getting the hold of it.
    Agreed with the bit in bold, push past the fear of learning and eventually you'll begin to love driving. I used to hate my lessons but started to enjoy my weekend lesson driving in the countryside with the windows down

ReputationRep:
    Honestly there's nothing to worry about Mann!!

just stop worrying,take a deep breath and belief in yourself and do it when you feel like you are ready to do it and not when your parents or someone else thinks is a good idea to do it and hopefully everything will work out perfect...... And besides it was a nightmare for me to but once I started I got over it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    As with all things in life, if you never try then you'll never know. I think most of us are a bit scared of learning to drive at first. But once you get the ball rolling, you'll wonder why you were ever worried.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be scared about driving when I first started learning but passing my test is the best thing I've ever done.

If you want to learn to drive then bite the bullet and book some lessons, but don't do it just because your parents want you to.

ReputationRep:
    If YOU actually want to learn to drive and reckon you'll end up doing it, now would be the best time. They reckon usually you need less hours. Prices for driving lessons aren't gonna get any cheaper as well

You never know, you might pick up driving like you do lyrics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go along with a decent instructor in a dual-control car. If you mess up, they'll help to make the car safe. At least give the lessons a go and see how far you get.

Learning to drive is not the same as studying to do an exam, it just becomes a way of life. In fact, my biggest concern with some drivers is how much they try to do things by the book - Don't. Don't just remember facts about driving, learn to understand how the vehicle works and what is the right thing to do. It's hard to explain without naming and shaming, but many people ask silly questions about "how to do this" or "how often do you need to do that whilst driving?" and the simple answer is... "As much as is required or as little is as needed. Just be safe about what you're doing.". A lot of people try to get black and white answers, and driving is more about just experiencing it. So in the whole, it's less about memorising and more about just getting a feel for what you're doing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.