Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of firming Lincoln uni to study illustration, but first I would like some opinions from people who are already doing the course.
    I was wondering how much tutor time you get weekly? Do you enjoy the course? Are the facilities good and just general information on the course.

Also who else is planning on going in Sept??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is a late reply so I don't know if you've made your decision yet.

I started it last year after doing an art foundation. Maybe it was just me, but I found it very constricting. They would start off by giving you a list of materials and a theme and set you to work in a large gallery with around 50+ people to sit and draw. And, if you missed your induction week like me (because of poor directions) you sat on your own for hours doing these boring tasks.

At my art college, it was a very small class and it was very social, the teacher and the technicians would all make their rounds and talk to you, offer you advice so you always had some encouragement. When I went on the open day for illustration at Lincoln they showed me Chad Varah house with nice small rooms where I could get the same experience.

Instead you are placed in a large newish (plain modern) Pavillions room with probably two lecturers. Work is group marked by lecturers and peers standing together and exemplary pieces are picked out, so if the current proposed style is not one you're fluent with the piece you worked hard on is for nothing, and you receive no personal feedback.

Mainly the lack of materials was a haunt, again, if you've come from a foundation or an art A-level there are always remnants of materials around that your lecturer can give you and suggest and it is fun to try new things, on this there was nothing, you have to buy everything; being a cheapskate like me (what artist isn't?) means you wont and you don't expand anymore.

Lectures consisted of odd things about the psychoanalysis of drawing, the morality of it and everyone who is famous in the world of illustration died penniless and alone. I may sound bitter, and I may have just come from being a big fish in a small pond but those were the worst two weeks of my university experience.

I quit after three weeks and now I study Biology there, if you do come here to do illustration, you might love it, I've only described the negative aspects. But, be warned, it's a far-far-far cry away from the naive world of art A-levels and foundations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.