Girls - Suits and Work Clothes Watch

shell_xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
So, that time of year has come where I'm about to graduate and take my first step into the big wide world, and that means beginning to think about jobs and interviews :eek:

In light of this, I'm beginning to look for jobs and will (hopefully!) soon start attending interviews. But what to wear?! I'm looking mainly into the HR field, so nothing creative, I'll have to be reasonably formal. I worked last summer in marketing, but the office was rather informal so I stuck to black trousers, stilletos and a nice jumper, rather than a suit.

Having never bought one therefore, does anyone know anywhere that does really nice suits? I'm not talking saville row here, but something half-decent, good fit and not frumpy, if you get what I mean. I know Next, M&S, Kookai etc all do suits, but without trying them on I thought I'd see if anyone had any personal experience/preferences!

Also if anyone has any ideas of what to wear with them that looks nice, in terms of tops, shoes, belts, trends etc. I don't want to look frumpy and boring, but I also don't want to look too informal.

I think for interviews I'm going to stick to trouser suits, but I'd also like a skirt combo. Michelle from the Office had a really nice style.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but any ideas/advice?! x
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why not invest in a black pencil skirt and make it a wardrobe staple, then you can wear it with different things on different days. Cute blouses always come in useful too, formal yet stylish. You could team this with a wide patent belt and lots of beads/accessories.

As for shoes, maybe invest in some good quality court shoes, maybe with a peep toe or a wedge to keep things funky. Schuh have some really nice wedges at the moment. Ballet pumps also look nice with pencil skirts and smart trousers, just make sure you pick formal/smart ones though!
PinkPigeon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had to wear suits for sixth form- I tended to find I prefered buying cheaper suits/skirts etc from H&M so I could have different ones rather than spending a lot on one expensive suit. it just meant I was able to change what fabric/colour on different days etc.
TheWildChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dorothy perkins do wicked suits. even new look have got some i think
tarka
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Next have some nicely fitting suits
Luminescience
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
yeah next do nice suits. Just wear the trousers and a jacket, then wear a nice (not too slutty/casual) top or a cool shirt. Zara do some good stuff too
Cessie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The next ones look pretty nice. And I'd go for pinstripes!
queenpin
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
you will def find a good suit in Zara
leannemarie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PinkPigeon)
I had to wear suits for sixth form- I tended to find I prefered buying cheaper suits/skirts etc from H&M so I could have different ones rather than spending a lot on one expensive suit. it just meant I was able to change what fabric/colour on different days etc.
Ditto and Mexx have some really nice suits sometimes. I tend to brighten my suits up with accessories and cool shoes because then I still look reasonably smart.
leannemarie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tarka)
Next have some nicely fitting suits
The first ever suit I brought was from Next and I got it home and the whole left seam had come undone. Needless to say I took it back! But they do have some nice styles but I found it hard to get a jacket that was the right size.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Same here I can never find a decent fitting suit from Next, although their stuff looks great on the hangers.

I'm looking for a suit too, expect I have an interview coming up next week and although I have something fairly smart to wear its more plain/bland than smart (pinstrip loose trousers and plain grey top - super comfy but potentially too casual).

I'm liking the suits on the left of this page: http://order.next.co.uk/page.asp?b=X37&p=26&o=1
shell_xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for all the help guys! So I've got Next, Zara, H&M, Dotty P's and Mexx to try!

I think I'm gonna try Next first, and see how they fit. I'm *loving* the suit on the main part of the left page black_mamba, I'm gonna have to try that on! Then I might get a cheaper suit from H&M or somewhere like that, some different belts and shirts, and see how that goes

I'm going shopping next weekend after my finals so I'll have to keep you posted and come back for advice when necessary! :p:
spin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mmm, sounds like you've got plenty to try. My favourite and most comfortable suit came from Next, but I have found some nice Jackets in H&M which work well too..

I think Jewellery is the way to go, people always comment if you wear nice jewellery - it's also a good way to avoid looking frumpy, so long as it's really funky / stylish

Good luck with the job hunting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads