Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

31 Killed in Iraq, 200 injured - Iraqi lives not worth reporting eh? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Three people are killed in Boston and the whole media reports it (don't get me wrong, my sympathies and prayers go to the families and victims).

BUT 31 in Iraq have been slaughtered 200 injured, arguably SEVERAL shades more severe, but it's barely been reported. Where is the sticky for it?

This clearly shows to the general public and coorporate media, and Iraqi blood is worth ten times less. *It is. Even if the intention is to get a 'shocking' story, American lives are worth more. Did we not have two major school shootings in a row? Many casualties in each? A few more violent massacres between that, then this? Every single time, the media has spent weeks on the news stories.

Has anyone ever said 'oh we get school shootings a lot , nothing surprising'.? Why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

At least 31 people have been killed and more than 200 others wounded in a series of early-morning explosions in cities across Iraq, officials say.
    These were BOMBS guys.

Echoes of what happened when israel led a siege on Gaza. I had to switch to a decent news channel to see people actually reporting the fatalities (many of which were women and children) in the Palestine camp.

Don't take my word for it guys. Go and look at both sides for yourself. Look at the pattern emerging. People in Pakistan and Iraq are getting blown up and the causalities are magnitudes more than in other countries which get far more reporting.

The Iraq bombings do not occur every day. Casualty numbers like this do not even occur weekly,(maybe they sometimes do in short bursts , and it is more frequent than in America, but it's a WAY more tragic event.

I'm not advocating even giving media time proportional to which event is more serious - that would be too fair. I won't even say give them both 50/50. But surely 25/75, rather than the 5/95 ?

ReputationRep:
    I agree to a degree.

But I think it's mostly because the focus is on that the boston incident was an attack, whilst the Iranian earthquake was a natural phenomenon. I don't think the issue is how many people died.

There are reasons certain things are reported more, and the UK and the US have a closer relationship than say, the UK and Syria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I agree to a degree.

But I think it's mostly because the focus is on that the boston incident was an attack, whilst the Iranian earthquake was a natural phenomenon. I don't think the issue is how many people died.

There are reasons certain things are reported more, and the UK and the US have a closer relationship than say, the UK and Syria.
    I am not talking about the Iran earth-quake(it's a coincidence two major events happened in one region) . There was an actual bombing in Iraq, and 31 people have died and 200 injured .

The Media's bias should have some limits, surely? What about TSR'S bias? Where is Iraq's sticky?(The boston one was made as if it was a world-wide commemorative event). But the slaughter of 30 Iraqi's - barely a word about it.

(i did not neg you btw)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As someone pointed out in the Boston thread people expect bombings and murder in Iraq so its not really breaking News. A bombing in America is. It's not right and in an ideal world the populace would not be so jaded but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    I am not talking about the Iran earth-quake(it's a coincidence two major events happened in one region) . There was an actual bombing in Iraq, and 31 people have died and 200 injured .

The Media's bias should have some limits, surely? What about TSR'S bias? Where is Iraq's sticky?(The boston one was made as if it was a world-wide commemorative event). But the slaughter of 30 Iraqi's - barely a word about it.
    Just because there's less media coverage and threads about the deaths in Iraq, that doesn't necessarily mean that we think less of the death of Iraqis. The Boston bombings is near to home and an attack on the strongest nation in the world, we're naturally inclined to pay more attention to it.

ReputationRep:
    How many bombings are there in Iraq in a week? How many bombings are there in the US in a say a year?

ReputationRep:
    I understand your point, but the sad thing is that people have come to expect murder, conflict, bombings and so on from Iraq and surrounding areas. Whereas bombings are far rarer in the US, and so more "news-worthy" - it's far more shocking to hear about bombs in a major US city, at a major sports event, than it is to hear about another bomb in a country known for conflict etc.

It might not be right, but it's the way it is :dontknow: The media reports the things they know will sell newspapers and shock their readers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    How many bombings are there in Iraq in a week? How many bombings are there in the US in a say a year?
    (Original post by Aj12)
    As someone pointed out in the Boston thread people expect bombings and murder in Iraq so its not really breaking News. A bombing in America is. It's not right and in an ideal world the populace would not be so jaded but there you go.
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Just because there's less media coverage and threads about the deaths in Iraq, that doesn't necessarily mean that we think less of the death of Iraqis. The Boston bombings is near to home and an attack on the strongest nation in the world, we're naturally inclined to pay more attention to it.
    Apathy. Apathy tells us 'oh it happens...'

ReputationRep:
    You see bombs going off in Iraq every day, reporting every single one of them would be boring.

ReputationRep:
    Major Earthquake in Iran kills 100's
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22168202

ReputationRep:
    When a dog bites a man its no news, but when a man bites a dog it is.
    The audience would get bored off if the daily bombings across the Middle East is talked about all day.
    Its a different audience. News is after all a business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Three people are killed in Boston and the whole media reports it (don't get me wrong, my sympathies and prayers go to the families and victims).

BUT 31 in Iraq have been slaughtered 200 dead, arguably SEVERAL shades more severe, but it's barely been reported. Where is the sticky for it?

This clearly shows to the general public and coorporate media, and Iraqi blood is worth ten times less.

At least 31 people have been killed and more than 200 others wounded in a series of early-morning explosions in cities across Iraq, officials say.
    These were BOMBS guys.

Echoes of what happened when israel led a siege on Gaza. I had to switch to a decent news channel to see people actually reporting the fatalities (many of which were women and children) in the Palestine camp.

Don't take my word for it guys. Go and look at both sides for yourself. Look at the pattern emerging. People in Pakistan and Iraq are getting blown up and the causalities are magnitudes more than in other countries which get far more reporting.

There are a number of reasons for this

1. America and the UK share historical and cultural links. America and the UK are basically Kin.

If one day your cousin was attacked and killed and on the same day somewhere else in the country a whole family was killed but you were not related .

Who would you be focusing on? Whose funeral would you attend? Most likely your cousins. So because we share a closer relationship with america we feel it more.

2. America and the UK are allies so we share enemies, if america is attacked that means the UK is likley at risk as well. Whereas if iraq is attacked it doesn't really mean their is a risk to the UK.

3. Iraq is a war zone, rightly or wrongly people expect fatalities there so are not shocked when it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)
    There are a number of reasons for this

1. America and the UK share historical and cultural links. America and the UK are basically Kin.

If one day your cousin was attacked and killed and on the same day somewhere else in the country a whole family was killed but you were not related .

Who would you be focusing on? Whose funeral would you attend? Most likely your cousins. So because we share a closer relationship with america we feel it more.

2. America and the UK are allies so we share enemies, if america is attacked that means the UK is likley at risk as well. Whereas if iraq is attacked it doesn't really mean their is a risk to the UK.

3. Iraq is a war zone, rightly or wrongly people expect fatalities there so are not shocked when it happens.
    Number 1 is irrelevant. Number 2 does make sense. Number 3 is not a justification.

The media needs to report on Merit, not Bias.

If 10x more people die in event A, and the media ignores event A and solely reports on event B where 10x less people have died than even A, that's bias, and not proffesional coverage.

I am not even suggesting Iraq should get equal time at all - let alone most of it. It surely deserves more coverage than the blackout we are seeing.

It's like a football game. When team A has a player tripped, the crowd go wild. When team B have a player shot, there's mild disturbance.

It's injustice, and apathy, brooded in a macabre cocktail i like to call the corporate media.

(As a general rule, i did not neg you. Someone seems to be negging everyone i quote. I'll say it now, i do not neg someone for having a different point of view)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    You see bombs going off in Iraq every day, reporting every single one of them would be boring.
    They do not happen everyday actually. It's often periodical, but definitely not even weekly. Furthermore, the number of casualties are 10x more than in Boston, and the numbered injured many times more.

I see the 'news' is about amusing the audience, rather than factual reporting on the actual events that go on planet earth.

ReputationRep:

(i did not neg you btw)
    I agree this is a sad discrepancy but the news is based on consumer interest unfortunately.
    The Boston Marthon is also a high profile event, and as terrible as it sounds, it is only the third such event of its kind in America (bombing of sporting event) which makes it far more spectacular given the many reams of problems in Iraq.
    If the news was merely reporting on the most deaths it would only be on famine/aids/poverty in regions of sub-Saharan Africa every single day (for right or wrong, maybe this would raise awareness.)
    As tragic as both events are, you need to look at it with a practical mindset. The news is about "spectacular" whilst often morbid events, it is not organised by highest death toll.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims killing muslims isn't breaking news. That isn't a conspiracy. That isn't 'da man' at work. It just isn't surprising enough to be news.

Bombs going off in the West, however, is.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22168202

Number one story on BBC news. Get off your high horse you cretin, the Boston bombings are a lot closer to home (even if it's not geographically) so of course it's going to be a bigger story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takingtime)
    I agree this is a sad discrepancies but the news is based on consumer interest unfortunately.
    The Boston Marthon is also a high profile event, and as terrible as it sounds, it is only the third such event of its kind in America (bombing of sporting event) which makes it far more spectacular given the many reams of problems.
    If the news was merely reporting on the most deaths it would only be on famine/aids/poverty in regions of sub-Saharan Africa every single day (for right or wrong, maybe this would raise awareness.)
    As tragic as both events are, you need to look at it with a practical mindset. The news is about "spectacular" whilst often morbid events, it is not organised by highest death toll.
    I fully understand where you are coming from with that, and the purpose of this thread is precisely to complain about the blackout and superficial reporting by the media.

The Iraq bombings do not occur every day. Casualty numbers like this do not even occur weekly, it is more frequent than in America, but it's a WAY more tragic event.

I'm not advocating even giving media time proportional to which event is more serious - that would be too fair. I won't even say give them both 50/50. But surely 25/75, rather than the 5/95 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    Muslims killing muslims isn't breaking news. That isn't a conspiracy. That isn't 'da man' at work. It just isn't surprising enough to be news.

Bombs going off in the West, however, is.
    By muslims, you mean politically motivated individuals trying to destabalize the government , and happen to be muslims right?

ReputationRep:

BUT 31 in Iraq have been slaughtered 200 dead, arguably SEVERAL shades more severe, but it's barely been reported. Where is the sticky for it?

This clearly shows to the general public and coorporate media, and Iraqi blood is worth ten times less.

These were BOMBS guys.

Things like this happen in Iraq all the time. In America it's a different case. Whatever happens in America makes news anyway as it's the most famous country in the world.

Obviously we are more focused on the West and we don't need race hustlers like you attempting to push a racial agenda. Same old story, heard it all before. You're just trying to invent scenario's that are not even happening.

P.S - The BBC reported it so it obviously has been reported...you're blinded by your own chip on that shoulder.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.