Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im in year 11, about to finish my GCSE's and im wanting to study physical geography at uni. but im stuck on what to take for A level
    for GCSE ive taken: english (lit+lang), maths, 3 sciences, P.E, geography, spanish and ICT.
    ive decided to do Biology (science im best at), geography and ICT for AS + A2 level. but most people do another subject for AS then just drop it.
    but what is the point of this fourth AS option?
    does it hold you back when getting into uni etc.?
    if i took 3 it would mean i would have much more time on my hands to concentrate on the 3 where im likely to get AAA or AAB.
    thoughts?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Some universities look more favourably on 4 AS levels. The biggest advantage is the ability to show you can prioritise large workloads and a greater knowledge in a variety of areas. From a personal POV I took 4AS and 3A-levels and dropped the subject I least enjoyed. If you only do 3AS then in order to drop a subject if you dislike it you need to pick up and complete another AS and A-level in 1 year - this gives you a greater workload in your second year thus decreasing your chances of AAA-AAB.

ReputationRep:
    It's best to do 4, so if you find that you really dislike one, or are struggling with one, you can drop it after the first year. Otherwise you'd have to keep going with it. Also, a lot of unis will prefer 4 AS subjects. They'd pick someone with AAAC at AS over someone with just AAA. Some unis for some courses have it as a requirement. If you want to be competitive, it's best to do 4, as almost everyone else will. It's an extra qualification and shows you can cope with a fuller time table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    everyone will tell you that it is better to do 4, and that is true because of various reasons. I mean the idea is that you do well in all 4 but lets say you get aaac-d then drop the subject you got the c-d in the unis will just look at your 3 subjects which you are taking to A2. Obviously this comes with complications like the top level unis won't be so forgiving, and the AS you do badly in should probably be less related to the uni course you want to do than the other 3, and so on.

Is there a particular reason you're asking this? Like perhaps you're finding it difficult to choose a "4th" subject?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.