Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year feb/march time (when i was going through an experimental phase lol) i got my hair bleached before dying it so it would hold a lighter colour. Since then its soooo dry and damaged - it looks horrible and i won't let people touch it because it feels horrible (even my bf commented on how nasty is feels and looks ).
    Any help??
    I've already tried nourishing masks, leaving oil in it overnight. Tips (and how i can style it) would be much appreciated!! I am never dying my hair ever again.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a similar experience a few years back and really the only way for your hair to recover is to just wait for it to grow out, hair is essentially dead. To put your hair in visably better condition it means regular deep conditioning and no or little heat styling.

If your hair is longer it might also be an idea to cut it a little shorter to take off the dry ends as that will be the most notably damaged part. With conditioning treatments its a good idea to try a few, Aussie is quite good and there's always natural hair masks you could try.

For styling your hair I would find ways to make your hair look good without heat, so no-heat curls or something similar.

I hope your hair recovers!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You need protein. Coconut oil and, if you can afford it, joico K-pak are amazing and have helped my hair a lot when it feels knackered from bleach. Stay away from silicones which will only mask the damage whilst sealing the cuticle preventing moisture and protein from getting in (so if you can, try using oils rather than serums to make it feel soft). Don't heat treat it and get a good trim!

ReputationRep:
    I did the same thing, had to grow it out and cut it off. If the masks and things aren't working you need to accept defeat. I don't want to hear "i don't want to cut it off" it looks like crap anyway from what you have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I did the same thing, had to grow it out and cut it off. If the masks and things aren't working you need to accept defeat. I don't want to hear "i don't want to cut it off" it looks like crap anyway from what you have said.
    Only problem is it hasn't grown that much since. Cutting off all the dry bits would leave me with a boycut or an extremely short bob which just wouldn't suit me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getaway)
    Only problem is it hasn't grown that much since. Cutting off all the dry bits would leave me with a boycut or an extremely short bob which just wouldn't suit me lol.
    Got to be better than a thatched house?

ReputationRep:
    Last year feb/march time (when i was going through an experimental phase lol) i got my hair bleached before dying it so it would hold a lighter colour. Since then its soooo dry and damaged - it looks horrible and i won't let people touch it because it feels horrible (even my bf commented on how nasty is feels and looks ).
    Any help??
    I've already tried nourishing masks, leaving oil in it overnight. Tips (and how i can style it) would be much appreciated!! I am never dying my hair ever again.

I ruined my hair a few years ago by bleaching and straightening (straightened my hair everyday for atleast 3 years) it was sooo horrible, especially my fringe (was split ends and felt horrible all the way down to the roots, so none of the hair was in good condition at all)
    Honestly, like others have said, you have to just cut it off and grow it out.
    Do you straighten or curl your hair?
    Because if you do, then your hair wont get any better.
    You should only blow dry your hair (hair drier) but use heat protection cream or spray aswell, and get you hair cut regularly (like every 4 weeks)
    This is what I did and my hair is a good condition now, and I have stuck to only blow drying my hair and never using straighteners too

ReputationRep:
    there's this hair treatment called DOOGRO and you can but it in different strengths such as medical strength, and it's a thickening conditioner/mask. I got the regular strength as mine was dead from bleaching and it helps soooo much, it's full of protein and oils and makes your hair feel and smell so good! Theonly issue is you can't buy it from stores, but it's so cheap ^^

ReputationRep:
    Any help??
    Hi I have afro hair which I relax and my hair went like that, I did have to wait for it to grow out but I used a protein mask and deep conditioned every week and then used a daily leave in conditioner. Cut off any split ends and try and keep in as much moisture as you can. Only use a moisturising shampoo for very dry/damaged hair or you'll just strip all the natural oils off you're hair and make it even dryer. Try and limit how often you wash it to, every 2-3 days. You could try products designed for afro hair because afro hair is extremely dry, avoid the oil based stuff though you won't need that, a water based is best. As for styling don't use any heat and don't over brush. Plaiting is one of the most protective styles just don't pull too tight a french braid would look nice I did this and I got mine pretty nice looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolejadekate)
    there's this hair treatment called DOOGRO and you can but it in different strengths such as medical strength, and it's a thickening conditioner/mask. I got the regular strength as mine was dead from bleaching and it helps soooo much, it's full of protein and oils and makes your hair feel and smell so good! Theonly issue is you can't buy it from stores, but it's so cheap ^^
    Thanks for the advice. I've got naturally very thick hair though - is still worth trying out this treatment? I don't need thicker-looking hair lol

ReputationRep:
    shave it off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_1234)
    I ruined my hair a few years ago by bleaching and straightening (straightened my hair everyday for atleast 3 years) it was sooo horrible, especially my fringe (was split ends and felt horrible all the way down to the roots, so none of the hair was in good condition at all)
    Honestly, like others have said, you have to just cut it off and grow it out.
    Do you straighten or curl your hair?
    Because if you do, then your hair wont get any better.
    You should only blow dry your hair (hair drier) but use heat protection cream or spray aswell, and get you hair cut regularly (like every 4 weeks)
    This is what I did and my hair is a good condition now, and I have stuck to only blow drying my hair and never using straighteners too
    Thanks. I usually just leave my hair natural (which is a frizzy mess - probably why it looks even worse lol). It doesn't look so bad straightened, but yes like you said I know not to heat style it a lot. Hopefully mine will recover like yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    shave it off
    Lol i am considering that haha - would save me a lot of time and money on styling. Just don't think I could pull of that look though...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I usually just leave my hair natural (which is a frizzy mess - probably why it looks even worse lol). It doesn't look so bad straightened, but yes like you said I know not to heat style it a lot. Hopefully mine will recover like yours!
    Good luck!! If you give it long enough you will be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.