Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Just getting my head around this:

An increase in price decreases the quantity demanded of a particular good

But, when there is excess demand, producers increase supply at a higher price (It's the producers increasing the price right?) in order to meet this extra demand. They sell at a higher price because it is more profitable, and overall despite the fact that selling the good at a higher price decreases the quantity demanded, am I right in thinking that the higher price offsets the lower quantity demanded and makes the overall increase in supply more profitable for a firm?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Okay listen, most people new to econ have this question at one point or another.

Quantity demanded has something to do with moving along the demand curve (due to a change in price)

Demand is the demand curve as a whole. When we say demand increases we mean the entire curve shifts outward.

Now take excess demand. Look at this diagram: your argument about increase in price reducing quantity demanded is the reason why price ends up at Q* rather than Qd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Okay listen, most people new to econ have this question at one point or another.

Quantity demanded has something to do with moving along the demand curve (due to a change in price)

Demand is the demand curve as a whole. When we say demand increases we mean the entire curve shifts outward.

Now take excess demand. Look at this diagram: your argument about increase in price reducing quantity demanded is the reason why price ends up at Q* rather than Qd

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your answer
    I understand that an increase in the price of a good will lead to a movement along the demand curve (more specifically a contraction), and that other factors such as an increase in income will shift the whole curve.

So, are you saying that the explanation in my opening post is correct then? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Hi Danny,

Thanks for your answer
    I understand that an increase in the price of a good will lead to a movement along the demand curve (more specifically a contraction), and that other factors such as an increase in income will shift the whole curve.

So, are you saying that the explanation in my opening post is correct then? Cheers
    I suppose so, yes. For AS level micro you just have to kind of accept that prices will end up at the equilibrium price unless there's something like a price ceiling or whatever preventing it. Your explanation is fine - if there was excess demand, producers would be able to profitably increase prices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TFP)
    I suppose so, yes. For AS level micro you just have to kind of accept that prices will end up at the equilibrium price unless there's something like a price ceiling or whatever preventing it. Your explanation is fine - if there was excess demand, producers would be able to profitably increase prices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK thanks for the help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.