Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bristol City Council banning White jobseekers to 'Boost Diversity' watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...programme.html

The authority said the programme, which takes on two people a year, is lawful under race relations legislation because it is only a traineeship and does not guarantee a job at the end of it.

The graduate training scheme is now in it's third year and annually offers two candidates a two-year placement with the council and pays them £18,000 each a year. The authority has a total of 9,000 members of staff of which 8,370 are white and 630, or seven per cent, are from ethnic minorities.

Because 12 per cent of Bristol residents come from minority backgrounds the council has begun searching for more employees to redress this imbalance.

In 2008, Avon and Somerset Fire Service was accused of discrimination by trying to ban white men from joining up. They were condemned after barring white males from recruitment sessions in an attempt to boost ethnic minority and women applicants.

Four out of five open days to attract new recruits were strictly limited to either women, ethnic minorities or both.

In 2006 Avon and Somerset Police admitted that it had illegally rejected nearly 200 job applications from white men because of their race and sex.

Six months later, Gloucestershire Police was ordered to pay £2,500 to a man who was one of more than 100 white male applicants rejected in an unlawful attempt to boost ethnic and women recruits.

The Bristol council management trainee scheme is advertised on the council's website, stating simply it is "Open to Black and minority ethnic graduates".

Tory MP Philip Davies, who campaigns against political correctness, said: "It is an utter outrage and the council should be hanging its head in shame. "They are pushing the boundaries of what the law was intended to do. They should be offering all positions to the best person and that should be open to everyone equally. "It is the kind of political correctness that builds up resentment that would not otherwise exist."

But Kerry McCarthy, a Labour MP in Bristol, said: "I would support schemes like this. It gives people an opportunity."
    James Easey, a spokesman for the council, said: "This is the third year of running the traineeship and it was started because of the marked under-representation of ethnic minority people in the council's workforce.

Why didn't this get any news attention, and secondly why is positive discrimination being allowed around the country against white Britons?

We have numerous discriminatory organizations set up directly to hire people based on their race whilst rejecting English people.

Yet, all we seem to speak of is this notion of 'institutionalized racism' against 'minorities'. Women are also highlighted too.

Since the police force have also admitted to having these racist policies, it makes me wonder how many other company's etc. are following these policies./

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it was 3 years ago it still is an appalling example of positive discrimination, a concept which itself is still discrimination at heart.

ReputationRep:
    It just reaffirms what we already know.

There is no such thing as 'positive discrimination,' there is only discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    God this is disgusting

Although i agree that in the police force, women and different race members are needed, they shouldnt be specifically passing over white men who would be perfectly good at the job to do so.

As for the fire service, whoever is best should get the job, end of. Skin colour and gender should not ever come into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    God this is disgusting

Although i agree that in the police force, women and different race members are needed, they shouldnt be specifically passing over white men who would be perfectly good at the job to do so.

As for the fire service, whoever is best should get the job, end of. Skin colour and gender should not ever come into that.
    Personally I think that should for any job.

ReputationRep:
    I expect nothing less from a Labour area.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how low your IQ must be to even have the thought process "I know how to reduce racism- let's introduce more racism!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I expect nothing less from a Labour area.
    So true. They're volatile scum. Anybody who does not conform to their make-belief, bigoted re-invention of discrimination is subsequently brushed aside.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.