Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskto...92848-pdt.html

Is this desktop good enough for gaming? Specifically is it good enough to play Black Ops 2?

Sorry I am new to PC gaming, and don't know what is good etc.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student280)

Is this desktop good enough for gaming? Specifically is it good enough to play Black Ops 2?

Thank you
    It might be OK, but not great, especially for the money.

I hate to say it (I work for PCWorld), but stay away from desktops, for gaming there not great.

It would be much better to go for a custom built one that either you build or is pre-built.

Some good ideas -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=43&catid=2475

Select an OS of your choice and select the Radeon 7850 Graphics card (great for the price) and that brings it up to £546.97, for a great gaming system that can do basic games like bo2 and even more demanding games like bf3 on lower settings.

Feel free to ask more Q's.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    I hate to say it (I work for PCWorld), but stay away from desktops, for gaming there not great.

Tom
    I misunderstood....

ReputationRep:
    That PC is awful. Such a massive rip off, the graphics card is quite simply a piece of crap.

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18575

Change the graphics card to the 650Ti and power supply to the 600W corsair and this is a good mid range PC for similar price. The website is reliable too.

Edit - The one from overclockers above is good too with 8GB RAM however the power supply leaves no room for upgrading the graphics card, or much else in the future. I wouldnt even imagine that 430W would be enough for a 7850.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightStrider)
    Sorry to say, you are completely wrong. You can upgrade desktops and you get more power for the same price.....
    Compare the two systems. One's the one the OP suggested, one's mine.

AMD A10 vs i3 ---- Both are going to be pretty much equal, but the A10 will probably be a little better since it's quad core.
    8gb vs 4gb ---- No difference, can upgrade either easily.
    Graphics 7570 vs 7850 --- The 7570 is not a good graphics card at all for gaming vs a card that can play pretty much any current game (all be it on lower settings.

Price £569 vs £542 -- the one I suggested is cheaper and no upgrades are needed. A decent graphics carf for the one OP suggested would be about and extra £100 - £150.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_J)
    That PC is awful. Such a massive rip off, the graphics card is quite simply a piece of crap.

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18575

Change the graphics card to the 650Ti and power supply to the 600W corsair and this is a good mid range PC for similar price. The website is reliable too.
    It's true. I hate it because I have to sell systems like that every time I go into work. People ask for our gaming PC's but we have no decent ones that don'r require upgrading.

But to be fair that's not our target market, but it would still be good just to have a couple of half-decent systems.

ReputationRep:
    Signed in just to tell you this.
    Get a PC from here:

cyberpowersystems.co.uk

It's much better than buying stuff from PC World and the likes. It's a UK based company, and you can select all your parts on the website.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say, you are completely wrong. You can upgrade desktops and you get more power for the same price.....
    You're misinterpreting what he meant.

There are two options:

1) He meant to stay away from PC World desktops.
    2) He meant to stay away from pre-built desktops, and go with a custom build.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)

There are two options:

Exactly. I actually meant a mixture of both :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student280)

Thank you
    No it isn't.......huge rip off.

Some of the other sites suggested are well quite expensive for a custom desktop.

One suggestion is Dinopc, they are cheaper than competitors but they offer few choices between components which is the only bad point.

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-E...70-93p1570.htm

Change a few things in the customisation......

graphics card to 7850..........power supply to the corsair 550 minimum ideally.
    Ram to 8 gb.

The rest is upto you to decide.............the only thing I can say that is good enough to upgrade is the motherboard which can become costly so have a look at the specs on there.
    Possibly the cpu cooler or the case as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies, after reading all of your comments I am going to go for a custom build

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ''

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that is a laptop.
    It's not???

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)

There are two options:

Ohhhhhhh. Sorry. I thought he meant all desktops.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.