Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically in 2008 I thought Ronaldo was on another level to Messi, then in 2011 I thought Messi was on another level to Ronaldo, but between now and 2011 I honestly believe the gap is tighter than ever. Obviously both are very different players, they play in different teams with varying levels of support around, & in different positions, but in terms of impact on their teams how important do you think they're. Messi for me has been the main reason for Barca to be winning the La Liga and has been the best & top scorer in the La Liga and has kept them in the CL. Ronaldo however has been amazing in the CL, ensuring Madrid stay in competition and has scored against Man United, City, BVB, Ajax and Galatasary, and has been the best player & top scorer in the CL. Head to head when Barca and Madrid have met Ronaldo this time has had the upper hand and done better than Messi & has ensure Madrid to do better than Barca. Yet in the press all the time Ronaldo is represented as the 2nd best player, or like in a thread earlier explained overrated, whereas every time I watch Barca on ITV or Sky, Messi is treated like a god, and called the best player with Ronaldo second each time, when in reality both impact the game the same as each other. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Messi is better. That's it really.

We don't need to have a conversation on this every time either. I'd rather discuss who is the best CB or CM in the world as you'll have a more diverse category of opinions and makes for a better debate. Bit bored of the CR7 vs Messi talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    Messi is better. That's it really.

We don't need to have a conversation on this every time either. I'd rather discuss who is the best CB or CM in the world as you'll have a more diverse category of opinions and makes for a better debate. Bit bored of the CR7 vs Messi talk.
    Fair enough, I respect your opinion as you can't go much wrong either way, but how much better is Messi to Ronaldo in your opinion, is he on another level or is it a narrow gap.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo is one of the best in a generation whereas Messi is the best of all time and we will be lucky to see his like again.

In 2010/2011, they scored the same number of goals, but Messi managed 11 more assists. This was also the year he ripped Man Utd to pieces in the Champions League Final.

Every other year from 2009/2010, Messi has led in both scoring and assists.

I find it hard to believe that there is still any debate about who is better. Anyway, to answer your question I would say Messi is quite a bit ahead of Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Ronaldo is one of the best in a generation whereas Messi is the best of all time and we will be lucky to see his like again.

In 2010/2011, they scored the same number of goals, but Messi managed 11 more assists. This was also the year he ripped Man Utd to pieces in the Champions League Final.

Every other year from 2009/2010, Messi has led in both scoring and assists.

I find it hard to believe that there is still any debate about who is better. Anyway, to answer your question I would say Messi is quite a bit ahead of Ronaldo.
    Yeah have to admit before this season Messi has been better, though I do remember one season Ronaldo scored more La Liga goals than Messi, & to me he didn't rip Man Utd apart that game, VDS could've saved his goal is more of a battering of the whole Barca team, but his performances against Arsenal and Bayern Leverkusen in the past have been :drool:, but for me Ronaldo has closed the gap this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Ronaldo at his best would be close to Messi, but he's not as consistent. So Messi is ahead by some distance for me.
    I don't get it, he has scored 50 or more goals a season in the last 3. People use to say he didn't turn up in the big games (even though he had scored in a CL final and a 40 yarder winner) but surely this season he has been more consistent than Messi in the El Classico's though he started off the season weaker than Messi he still matched him in the early Classico's.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is more consistent, however both players have the same impact and importance to their teams. But Messi is on another level, once a lifetime player. Whilst Ronaldo is a once a generation player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo has never been "close" to Messi in my opinion. Even in 2008, when Barca played Man. United Ronaldo did nothing in both ties and missed a penalty whereas Messi played about 30 minutes in the 2nd leg and ran rings around the Man. United defenders. Ronaldo also gave a stupid foul away in the last seconds which gave Barca a free kick which they could have scored from and thus went through. Ronaldo was lucky he didn't knock his team out after his shocker in both legs. Ronaldo scored more goals and was in a team that won the Champions League that year, that's the only reason people thought he was the better player of the two back then.

Only a few nutcases and Man. United fans still seriously think that Ronaldo is better than Messi. Ronaldo is the better athlete and deserves a lot of credit for being so obsessed with bettering Messi (and thus improving his own level in the process) but Messi is the better footballer, there is no doubt about it, forget all the stats and just watch them both play. Ronaldo's game is basically pace, power, shooting and heading and that's not a discredit to him, he does it well but he is machine-like in his style. Messi's is sheer artistry, there's nothing he cannot do. Messi is the better passer, free kick taker, penalty taker, dribbler, creator, shooter, goalscorer... he's better. The only area I'd say Ronaldo tops him (other than the physical side to the game and those attributes will wane and affect Ronaldo's game far more) is headers and even then Messi is no slouch there (this is the same Messi who scored a header against Ronaldo's Man. United in 2009 to win the CL). Messi is by far the superior footballer.

Messi is on another level, it's not a narrow gap. He's a world class winger, playmaker and striker rolled into one.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo whilst hes scored more I would actually say hes been quieter. Quit a few of his goals have been **** ups by the Barcelona team which is not his problem but still.

Plus one thing i think Messi has over Ronaldo is the playmaker ability which hes much better at then Ronaldo at getting others involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Yeah have to admit before this season Messi has been better, though I do remember one season Ronaldo scored more La Liga goals than Messi, & to me he didn't rip Man Utd apart that game, VDS could've saved his goal is more of a battering of the whole Barca team, but his performances against Arsenal and Bayern Leverkusen in the past have been :drool:, but for me Ronaldo has closed the gap this season.
    You mean the season where Messi has scored over 40 goals in La Liga already, was the sole reason why Barca went through to the semis and basically carries Barca every game?

ReputationRep:
    Gap between Ronaldo and Iniesta's closer than the Ronaldo-Messi gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    You mean the season where Messi has scored over 40 goals in La Liga already, was the sole reason why Barca went through to the semis and basically carries Barca every game?
    I mean the Messi who has scored 3 goals in the last 4 starts against Madrid and the Ronaldo who has scored 4 in his last 3 starts against Barca.

ReputationRep:
    I mean the Messi who has scored 3 goals in the last 4 starts against Madrid and the Ronaldo who has scored 4 in his last 3 starts against Barca.
    Stats galore.

Messi is going to win the league anyway and has scored 7 more goals and has 6 more assists, but statistics do not paint the full picture in football.

Bebe has the greatest strike rate in terms of apps to goals in Champions League history (really), yet he's crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Stats galore.

Messi is going to win the league anyway and has scored 7 more goals and has 6 more assists, but statistics do not paint the full picture in football.

Bebe has the greatest strike rate in terms of apps to goals in Champions League history (really), yet he's crap.
    Yeah but Ronaldo won the league last season but Messi was the better player, & Messi may have more goals but Ronaldo has scored against tougher and better opposition this season especially in CL and is the top scorer.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but Ronaldo won the league last season but Messi was the better player, & Messi may have more goals but Ronaldo has scored against tougher and better opposition this season especially in CL and is the top scorer.
    What I'm saying is the amount of goals either has scored against each other's team isn't that important and doesn't prove who's the better player. And 3 goals in 4 vs 4 in 3 isn't a big difference anyway. Not trying to be patronising either. I just don't see why people use stats so much. Messi has been just as important for Barcelona this season as Ronaldo has for Real Madrid and Messi had an insane season last year too like you say.

In terms of talent level, Ronaldo isn't close to Messi, but he manages to use his inferior skill set to good effect. Messi is better though.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo to me has become more of a just flat out finisher much like Gerd Muller was. He doesn't seem to take on hordes of defenders then score. its usually brute speed get onto the end of a cross/pass and score not that there's anything wrong with that because its incredibly effective.

Messi seems to shoulder a lot more with Barcelona in the sense that hes expected to set the attacks and make the passes. If this makes any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What I'm saying is the amount of goals either has scored against each other's team isn't that important and doesn't prove who's the better player. And 3 goals in 4 vs 4 in 3 isn't a big difference anyway. Not trying to be patronising either. I just don't see why people use stats so much. Messi has been just as important for Barcelona this season as Ronaldo has for Real Madrid and Messi had an insane season last year too like you say.

In terms of talent level, Ronaldo isn't close to Messi, but he manages to use his inferior skill set to good effect. Messi is better though.
    In terms of talent Messi beats Ronaldo in dribbling, but their finishing is par, Ronaldo is the more stronger player though, though Messi is the better provider, but in terms of Ronaldo having a stronger weaker foot than Messi and is better in the air, people talk about how Messi has a much higher skill set but in reality Ronaldo makes up for this in terms of how much more complete he is compared to Messi and how Ronaldo can be more useful for when the plan A isn't working in the sense that Barca have to put Pique up front just to have a target man when breaking down some opponents.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of talent Messi beats Ronaldo in dribbling, but their finishing is par, Ronaldo is the more stronger player though, though Messi is the better provider, but in terms of Ronaldo having a stronger weaker foot than Messi and is better in the air, people talk about how Messi has a much higher skill set but in reality Ronaldo makes up for this in terms of how much more complete he is compared to Messi and how Ronaldo can be more useful for when the plan A isn't working in the sense that Barca have to put Pique up front just to have a target man when breaking down some opponents.
    Complete player doesn't mean physically.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is definitely better as a pure goalscorer and finisher, but Ronaldo might be slightly better as an all round player. He's just as effective from Striker, Centre-Forward, Winger, Central Attacking Midfielder.

I'm not saying Messi couldn't do it, but he's not as good outside of the Striker/Centre-Forward role as Ronaldo is in my opinion.

Messi is more consistent, scores a few more, but Ronaldo is better at free-kicks and I would probably back him at penalties more than Messi.

Overall if you put a gun to my head I'd say Messi is better, but it really depends on your team and what you want. For example as a Liverpool fan, we have Suarez up front already, and we're terrible in midfield, so (despite the United History and the fact I hate him) I would take Ronaldo on the wings.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo has been the better player in the last 10 weeks. Personally have not enjoyed watching messi since he becamea Center forward, back in 2010 when he faced arsenal he played behind villa and that was when i thought he was at his best.

Id take ronaldo over messi but thats just my preference, Zidane would squish them both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.