Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Minimum wage job...20 hours a week..Is it worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've come out of university and looking for a job. I've been offered this job but should i take it? the pay is poor and hours are not great....

Although, I have very little experience ( just many qualifications) and could do with the money as of now, do with the experience and believe it will maybe benefit me in the future (im not planning on doing this job forever or long at all)

Should I accept it and hopefully it'll lead to opening up doors in the future + experience or reject it because poor pay + hours? It'll also give me a chance to improve my confidence and meet new people i suppose.

What do I do??????????????

thanks.

'Telesales & Bookings' + Commission is the job btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    I've come out of university and looking for a job. I've been offered this job but should i take it? the pay is poor and hours are not great....

Although, I have very little experience ( just many qualifications) and could do with the money as of now, do with the experience and believe it will maybe benefit me in the future (im not planning on doing this job forever or long at all)

Should I accept it and hopefully it'll lead to opening up doors in the future + experience or reject it because poor pay + hours? It'll also give me a chance to improve my confidence and meet new people i suppose.

thanks.

If you have little experience in the work place then just take it. You can then just work til you find a better job rather than doing nothing all day Makes time go by faster!

ReputationRep:
    Take it, gotta start somewhere

ReputationRep:
    is there definitely a fixed wage or is it totally commission based?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good idea to build up some experience, enough hours to keep you occupied, but you'll still have enough time to apply to jobs, go for it

ReputationRep:
    If you don't take it then you are presupposing that this is a case in which not having a job can be better than having a job. If this is the case, you are the kind of lazy [email protected] who gives everyone a bad impression of welfare. If you have just come out of university with, as you say, very little experience that means that all you have done for 21 years is take money from other people, and if you can't see that you have a responsibility to take any opportunity you have to put something back into the system then you seriously need to sort yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    It's better than nothing!
    I'd take it if I were you, especially in this current climate i'd be grateful to have a job when there are so many others who are jobless...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Take it. Apparently, employers prefer those who are already in work. And it's better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty obvious if you ask me...
    A basic job is better than having no job!

ReputationRep:
    It is better than nothing, and it looks a lot more attractive to future employers that you are in work, and not on the dole. Also like what has already been said, it may not be great, but at least it gets you out of the house and more money in you're pocket than on the dole.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Take it and spend some of the free time you will have looking for and applying to better jobs. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Just take it, believe me if you're not doing anything at all it's so easy just to fall into that pattern and then it's hard to get yourself back out there. You don't wanna be sat on JSA for ages! If you've got at least something to do for now, nothing is stopping you longing that right off as soon as something better comes along!

ReputationRep:
    the 'advice on everyday issues' sub forum is lower down the page OP.

ReputationRep:
    Take it, especially if it's lack of work experience holding you back on other applications. You can use your spare time to keep job hunting. IME lots of employers automatically reject applications from those who are currently unemployed. Especially these days with the number of applications they get. Having any sort of job should help with other applications.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming your alternative choice is no job at all (and hence no money, experience etc) then take it.

EDIT: Didn't think about you being on JSA. Still, take it - the experience will be valuable.

ReputationRep:
    You've basically answered your own question, you want to take it so take it.

ReputationRep:
    Do it.

ReputationRep:
    What a silly question... lol at you students who think you will leave uni and get a 60k basic salary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take it, a job is better than no job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)

thanks.

Take it.

I must add I hate snobby people whom think just because they come out of University they are entitled to the better paid and better contracted hour jobs out there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.