Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying French and German, in my third year and on my year abroad. I suffer with anxiety, and had a complete freak out at the start of my semester in France and was unable to spend more than a month there - I hated every minute. Now I'm in Germany; whilst it's not quite as bad, I've come to a clear realisation that I hate this degree and it's not helping with the anxiety!

I really want to switch to an English degree, but seeing as I'm so far into this course I don't know if they'd let me change. I only have an AS-Level in English, I'm not sure if my uni would make me start the new degree from scratch, and I have no real qualms with the structure or teaching of my languages degree - my only problems are being seriously unhappy abroad and feeling like I would have been much happier, done much better and been more prepared for my future career if I'd taken English (I hope to do something editorial post-uni).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; everything I've seen online so far has been for students wanting to change degree in first year or even before they've arrived at uni, so I'd love another perspective on this one! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliexbrown)
    I'm currently studying French and German, in my third year and on my year abroad. I suffer with anxiety, and had a complete freak out at the start of my semester in France and was unable to spend more than a month there - I hated every minute. Now I'm in Germany; whilst it's not quite as bad, I've come to a clear realisation that I hate this degree and it's not helping with the anxiety!

I really want to switch to an English degree, but seeing as I'm so far into this course I don't know if they'd let me change. I only have an AS-Level in English, I'm not sure if my uni would make me start the new degree from scratch, and I have no real qualms with the structure or teaching of my languages degree - my only problems are being seriously unhappy abroad and feeling like I would have been much happier, done much better and been more prepared for my future career if I'd taken English (I hope to do something editorial post-uni).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; everything I've seen online so far has been for students wanting to change degree in first year or even before they've arrived at uni, so I'd love another perspective on this one! Thanks
    You can change at any time as long as you are prepared to go back to first year and pay three years fees again.
    You may be able to get special dispensation to go straight into second year but you will have to talk to an academic tutor about this within the English department. Try sending off a few emails to test the waters.
    I would be pretty certain you couldn't skip into third year as at my University at least, second and third year English are the same thing and you just choose which of the optional modules you want to do in each year.
    From my point of view I would see what you don't like about your current course and if it is just the year abroad. If it is try and hang in there and make your previous hard work worth it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd be able to skip ahead, no, and I would be prepared to start again (even with the £9k fees!!). Do you think the AS-Level would be an issue though? Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd be able to skip ahead, no, and I would be prepared to start again (even with the £9k fees!!). Do you think the AS-Level would be an issue though? Thanks for your reply!
    I think if your grades are good enough they will definitely let you if you explain the circumstances. But it may be that it is from first year.
    I think the next step is just to find out who to talk to about it at the University and if they aren't helpful which I wouldn't expect find some kind of academic rep to help you with the process.

ReputationRep:
    You need to talk to your Personal Tutor about the practicalities of this. But be realistic, it may simply not be possible without restarting a new degree. You Personal Tutor will also be able to talk you through whatever issues you are currently having and help you complete your current degree - and move on to the next stage in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the rules have changed in the past year, you won't be able to get funding for the full three years of another degree so you will have to fund the first year of your new degree by yourself, possibly your second too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying French and German,...Thanks
    Having a languages degree as opposed to English really shouldn't be a barrier to doing editorial work. I have a languages degree and have yet to come across a job ad where English is the requirement- usually for those kinds of jobs they ask for "arts or humanities" subjects, nothing more specific. To be sure maybe have a search for the kinds of jobs you'd like to do/ call someone up from the profession and get a second opinion.

But from a career POV I'd guess starting over would not be worth the time/money. AFAIK a languages degree is pretty similar to english lit, and the skills gained are very similar.

Surely now it's nearly May you are most of the way through your year abroad? How much longer do you have to do? I had anxiety issues on YA too so totally sympathise- i broke up my stay with lots of trips home and visits from friends which helped a bit but it wasn't an easy time. What are you doing, british council or studying or working?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.