Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would a 35mm be any good for landscape photography?

I wouldn't be using it solely for landscapes, but just want to know if it would be any good for that purpose.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got a full frame camera it might be ok.

I tried doing landscape stuff on my crop frame camera with a 35 and I often struggled to get in everything I wanted. I now use a Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Would a 35mm be any good for landscape photography?

I wouldn't be using it solely for landscapes, but just want to know if it would be any good for that purpose.
    On what camera?

That said, landscapes don't exclusively use wide angles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    On what camera?

That said, landscapes don't exclusively use wide angles.
    Just a d3200. I haven't got a kit lens and am thinking I may as well just get a 35mm instead.

ReputationRep:
    Just a d3200. I haven't got a kit lens and am thinking I may as well just get a 35mm instead.
    So it'll become essentially a 56mm...

I have taken landscape photos at that focal length. It's admittedly longer than I generally use, but it's a mistake to use the widest angle you can with no consideration for composition. That's how bad landscape photos happen.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the type of shot... Maybe.

It'll be down to what you're doing and how you handle the shots afterwards. You could potentially do a panorama shot if the lens isn't wide enough. You'll just have to make it work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    So it'll become essentially a 56mm...

I have taken landscape photos at that focal length. It's admittedly longer than I generally use, but it's a mistake to use the widest angle you can with no consideration for composition. That's how bad landscape photos happen.
    This is something rather frustrating for me as a noob.

If someone suggests getting a 50mm lens, are they really saying to get a 35mm which then turns into a 50-something. Or are they saying to get a 50mm which then turns into a 75~mm.

Would a 35mm lens (which is mutliplied by 1.6x) be ok for landscape?

ReputationRep:

If someone suggests getting a 50mm lens, are they really saying to get a 35mm which then turns into a 50-something. Or are they saying to get a 50mm which then turns into a 75~mm.

Frustratingly, people mean different things by it. I tend to think more in terms of effective focal length, although I do try to make this clear (there will be times I forget to be explicit in it.) Some people would mean an actual 50mm, so an effective 75-ish.

It all depends on the landscape you're shooting. You can use a telephoto lens to take a landscape photo if it's the appropriate focal length to the scene (I have; used a 400mm lens for it.) There really isn't a range of focal lengths that are acceptable for landscapes and everything else is bad. Generally, wider is better ... but not always.

ReputationRep:

It depends on the context really.

If someone told me to buy a 50mm, I would buy a 50mm. I wouldn't look at the crop factor, because a 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens on a cropped sensor (sure, the field of view changes, but it's still the same lens).

If someone said they used a 50mm on a full-frame camera, and I wanted to get a similar shot, I would then consider using a ~35mm lens if I wanted to replicate their field of view. Similarly, if someone told me they took a shot on a 300mm lens, I may ask them which camera they were shooting with and then calculate an effective field of view for me. But 300mm is still 300mm. The camera won't change that.

ReputationRep:
    Not especially, if you're uncertain start with the kit lens and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    i have a canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS usm i used this all the time from landscapes to macro to studio work, only cost me £188 in mint condition on mpb photographic check them out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally use wider. I have a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and I still want a wider field of view, so I'm aiming for the 10-22mm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.