Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Im not ready for a relationship right now" Watch

So there was this girl and she had this thing with one of my friends around a month ago and he ended up saying he just wanted to be friends.
    Fast forward a month and me and her had spent nights in, cuddling up watching movies etc and she told me that she liked me and I told her I felt the same way about her. So I ask her would she like to be my girlfriend and she responds with "Im not ready for a relationship right now". Its been around a month but it was only 2 weeks after her last relationship when she was all over my friend.

Is this just a nice way of her saying she doesnt want me but making it seem like its her fault? or if it is genuine, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to her about it, if it was only 2 week after her last relationship you can't blame her for not wanting to jump straight into another relationship.

ReputationRep:
    No. It just means she thinks it's too early to be openly in a relationship with a friend of her ex.

ReputationRep:
    ur the rebound. move on.

No I mean it was 2 weeks after her 2nd ex that she went straight onto my mate, who is now her current ex

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it to mean 'I don't want to be with you.' A lot of people seem to think that telling someone that they're just not ready for a relationship is a nice way of letting somebody down gently, but in reality it can just give that person false hope and it's better in the long run to be completely honest.

The cynic in me says that this girl was just using you to stroke her ego after her break-up and being rejected by your friend. But it's also entirely possible that she was confused about her feelings and now realises that she doesn't have any feelings for you. Either way I'd recommend cutting contact for now and moving on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is this just a nice way of her saying she doesnt want me but making it seem like its her fault?
    In a word, yes.

ReputationRep:
    No I mean it was 2 weeks after her 2nd ex that she went straight onto my mate, who is now her current ex
    It's entirely possibly that she wasn't ready for a relationship when she got with your friend, and since she realised that, she's not willing to make the same mistake. It's also possible that she's trying to let you down gently.

Just keep doing whatever you're doing, having these cosy nights in together and whatnot, and don't be in a rush to define things and make her say she's your girlfriend. If she's not ready, she's not ready and putting pressure on her won't help. Enjoy things as they are, and soon enough you'll find out whether things are getting more serious, or if her interest is in fact waning.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people just don't want to be in a relationship at a particular time. Have to respect their decision, I don't think most people who say that are lying.

I'm the same, I always tell myself why enter a relationship if you can't offer the things you feel should be offered in a great relationship? It's just unfair on the other person really (from my perspective)

Should I wait for her to be ready then and carry on the way we were before she said this then or move on?

ReputationRep:
    Girl mags (and I imagine lad ones too!) have always said that it's a cowardly way of saying "I don't want a relationship with you, ever." I have, however, been the subject of 'I don't want a relationship right now' myself, and it turned out OK. So who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Lmao. Lmfao :lol:

What a slut

ReputationRep:
    So I ask her would she like to be my girlfriend
    Oh... that. Rookie mistake, by the way.

Never ask, just let it grow organically and you will both know when you're in a relationship. It is kinda sweet though.

(Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)

Never ask, just let it grow organically and you will both know when you're in a relationship. It is kinda sweet though.
    Might have a point there, my friend who has quite a way with the ladies said he has never actually asked a girl out he just lets it build upto the point when he knows he is in a relationship

ReputationRep:
    Might have a point there, my friend who has quite a way with the ladies said he has never actually asked a girl out he just lets it build upto the point when he knows he is in a relationship
    Soz buddy.

Usually it should read: Im not ready for a relationship right now with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)

I disagree, I think it's important to know where you stand with someone. If I hadn't asked for clarification with the last girl I was with I would've likely been effectively strung along for some time in what was, for her, a purely casual relationship.

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't want a relationship with you.

You should try and at least tap that though.

ReputationRep:

Is this just a nice way of her saying she doesnt want me but making it seem like its her fault? or if it is genuine, what should I do?
    Sounds genuine; it is easy to get fed up of relationships. As she hangs with you it can be the fact that she doesn't like you just maybe wants to be friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.