Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We're going to be filtering under reduced pressure.

We're using running water from a tap as the suction.

We've been told to "check there's good suction before we start"

How do you check if it's good suction?

ReputationRep:
    It usually just flows through very quickly. Are you doing Buchner filtration?

ReputationRep:
    squirt some deionised water through and it should filter through super quick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had to do a double take when reading that title lol

ReputationRep:
    Expectations of this thread - 10/10
    Reality of this thread 1/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    It usually just flows through very quickly. Are you doing Buchner filtration?
    Hi yes we're using Buchner flasks. They kept emphasizing to check for good suction. So since they were emphasizing it so much, I guess it's important!

ReputationRep:
    Best way in my experience is to place your palm over the top of the buchner funnel to form a seal and you will be able to feel if there is a vacuum. Water will go through a filter paper fairly quickly with little/no vacuum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveUSA)
    Hi yes we're using Buchner flasks. They kept emphasizing to check for good suction. So since they were emphasizing it so much, I guess it's important!
    Yeah it is important for Buchner filtration. I quite like Buchner, ahah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.