Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The title pretty much sums this up. I'm considering on renting a place with a couple of friends. They're good people, although I always hear that living with people is an entirely different thing. Whats your experiences, and would you recommend it? Also, is three people enough to pay for accommodations in a large city?

ReputationRep:
    I spent my second year in a rented place with a few girls from halls - they weren't particularly good friends, but we managed OK. The main problem was cleanliness - standard students-not-washing-the-dishes - but these girls I lived with were REALLY bad. As nice as they were, I wouldn't want that again. Having said that, next year I'm living with a friend from my course who I'm much more suited to and I can't wait to live with her.

So in answer to your question, I'd say make sure you're either compatible with your friends or can tolerate their habits (!), and a place for three people is definitely affordable. Large cities often have places to suit every budget; I'm studying in Nottingham and the house my friend and I are renting next year is more than affordable. I'd recommend renting over halls as well - much more freedom. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to tell us a bit more about your situation - what year are you in, for instance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    You'll have to tell us a bit more about your situation - what year are you in, for instance?
    It'll be my freshman. I dunno how many people will know the location on this forum, but I'll be moving somewhere downtown Ottawa, Canada. One of my friends will be taking a College course, another will be working once he finds a job in the area. Me and the guy who's working have a bit of money saved, and the third will be getting a loan I'm sure. We're contemplating inviting a fourth friend to join us, although we're skeptical about if it'd be a good idea, considering how he's not the most reliable with money. But that's beside the point; as far as this threads concerned it'll just be the three of us.

Not sure if there was anything else you were thinking of, if there is just shout.

(Original post by charliexbrown)
    So in answer to your question, I'd say make sure you're either compatible with your friends or can tolerate their habits (!), and a place for three people is definitely affordable. Large cities often have places to suit every budget; I'm studying in Nottingham and the house my friend and I are renting next year is more than affordable. I'd recommend renting over halls as well - much more freedom. Hope this helps
    And that's good to hear charliexbrown, I was worried if we'd be able to make ends meet. The three of us have known each other for most of what I can remember, so I'm sure one way or another we can make each other do their part. The only potential issue I can see is the one guy is a pretty big pot head. Don't get me wrong, we all do it, but the one guy smokes like a ****ing chimney haha. I'm definitely gonna be talking to him about it though, and I have a feeling he's gonna make an effort to cut once school/ money is an issue. Thanks for the reply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.