Corvette Z06... Watch

Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Thus, for me, i think that Noble is the better company over Corvette because a) its British b) it has a better chassis c) its the underdog! d) i could live the lag.
I thought Nobles were built in South Africa?

I bought my Lotus Elise because it was the only car on the market that had the qualities I was looking for and I think it's a compelling product. The fact that it is manufactured in a country that is an ally of the USA (or supposed to be) was a bonus, but not really something that played much of a role in my decision-making.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think they are, but even if they are, they are researched and designed in Britain who have some of the best racing engineers in the world.

Well done for buying a Lotus, great little cars, fast and is made in Britain, of course owned by Proton which is a Taiwanese company??

Graham
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
I don't think they are, but even if they are, they are researched and designed in Britain who have some of the best racing engineers in the world.

Well done for buying a Lotus, great little cars, fast and is made in Britain, of course owned by Proton which is a Taiwanese company??

Graham
Proton is Malaysian.

There have been plenty of "blue devil" prototypes spotted recently. Blue devil is the code name for the supercharged Z06. It should put out somewhere in the neighborhood of 650 HP. General Motors may make classes at a high performance driving school a requirement for new owners so they won't get killed behind the wheel.

I'm very excited about the US industry showing signs of waking up from its deep slumber. British magazines say we've been "on holiday" since 1969 and I think they are right. If more good cars continue to come out of detroit, I may have to consider trading in my Lotus some time in the near future.
DoktaUH
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
I thought Nobles were built in South Africa?
They're designed in britain, but manufactured somewhere around there by i think a lotus elise replica company
snmichaels
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aahh, it's nice to see a good thread after such a long break.

Hmmm, M15 or Z(ee)06... that is a tough one. I think I'd go with the Z06 due to the huge aftermarket support. As good as the Z06 is, it can be made a whole lot better. There is still aftermarket suspension components out there. Better tyres. Engine components etc.

As far as the large NA engine vs small boosted engine argument goes; I'd rather just combine the two and have a large boosted engine like the Lingenfelter Corvette twin turbo that makes over 1000bhp. That is an extreme case, but even standard C6's with just 6-7 lbs of boost will make over 600bhp at the rear wheels. And it has been said many times, the new C6 platform isn't that bad a chassis and can be made better very easily.
-Blade-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Badass car. My fave car of all time.
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pss unless they have changed alot the 96 model I spent about 200 miles in as a passenger was about as refined as a cement mixer full of snooker balls. Shook like a hooker with tourettes every time it came across a bump too.

The interior was **** too, I know its all LOL GM PARTS BIN but still how can you throw components together in the absolutely wrong way for the entire life of the car, the z06c0z0 or whatever that I mucked about in last Birmingham motorshow was just as bad but with some new fabric as far as I could see.

Also antidote for a modern vett? A used 355 and nobody can argue with that.
-Blade-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A C5 Z06, the older model, will demolish a F355 with ease.

Also, with the exception of the Enzo, the interiors of Ferrari's are hardly top notch either. They can, and usually are, just as flimsy.

When driving a performance car, I doubt the interior is your prime concern. I do agree that the old Vettes had a poor interior, but the C6 Z06 has a decent interior with great seats. Also, the HUD and DIC is an innovation.

The C6 Z06 is not all from the GM Parts Bin, though fair enough some bits and bobs are, but if they can make a car that kills Ferraris in ALMS with spare parts, then what can they do with building a car at the same price as an F430? The Blue Devil may answer that one...
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
Shook like a hooker with tourettes every time it came across a bump too.
:toofunny:

Sorry Jax, I quite like the new Z06. I really do; more so than a 355. Not more than a 360 though :cool: or a 430 ;w00t;
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Psss you all have no taste. And Blade I am not a Ferrari fanboy but you clearly haven't sat in many Ferrari's apart from a mondial 8 or something.

The gated shifter on a 355 is worth half a boner alone. I find the corvette a pretentious American, it desperately wants the glamour and attention of the poncy horse, but will never be the fanny magnet the red rooster is.

THE VIPER however is like **** yeah we got truck transmission and a engine bigger than the sun BUT I DONT CARE. The viper is a much better American tough boy, because of its take me as you find me attitude. Shame it cant handle but neither does my sofa and I like it all the same.

All that said nothing beats a original C4 vett :cool:
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aston Martin is the way to go. But if you don't like them, Lambos are nice...TVRs are the best if they are running!

Aerial Atom i wouldn't say no to, that would trounce the Z06 round the track and on the road! ...and for £30k

Graham
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jax, sorry but you seem to have no idea about vettes, yet you think you no enough to give a viable opinion on one. First off, they didn't make the Z06 in '96. Infact, the '96 model was the last of the C4's. So if you love the "original" C4, then you are talking out your ass. The muscle car Vette's were the C2 and C3 Stingray Vette's.

As far as performance per pound/dollar goes, there are only a select few that are with the Z06, an Aston is not even close. I'm not saying either one is better, because I like both, but for different reasons. The Atom is certainly badass, but it's not a real car. The Z06 may be a little rough on UK roads, but it wasn't really designed for them.

One car that I would love to have next to the Z06 is the new 911 Turbo but it costs over £40,000 more. But it does have a decent aftermarket support if you want it. Ruf can set you up very nicely indeed. One thing to remember is that whilst the Z06 costs £60,000 here, it costs about $60,000 in the US, which is around £35,000!!! Also, they claim to get an average of 27 mpg, which is very good for a 505bhp sports car. Infact nothing else comes close. But another thing to remember is that is rated using US gallons which are smaller than a UK gallon. In UK terms, that is almost 34 mpg!

And I serioulsy don't think the Corvette is trying to be anything like a Ferrari. It may be able to beat the hell out of every Ferrari apart from an Enzo, but that has nothing to do with it's identity. The Corvette has stayed true to its roots for over 50 years. They have always had a front engine, RWD layout. They've always been made from fibre glass. They've always had a V8 and have always been a 2 seater.

The Corvette is finally becoming a good all rounder.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ I agree. But Jax makes a good point about the Viper (SRT-10).

American cars are generally cheaper than their British counterparts, and I haven't the faintest idea why. I can't believe the Z06 gets 34mpg - no way. I was in a soppy 3.0 V6 S Type yesterday getting 18mpg. How can a 550hp car get 34?

However, finally the British market is actually getting a couple of cars from America that aren't bad and are more than worthy competitors to our own crop. It must be a thought - bog standard 997 or the Z06? It would cross your mind. The Dodge Caliber is out as well now at the most ridiculously priced car if I have ever seen one. That will sell.
-Blade-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Shame it cant handle but neither does my sofa and I like it all the same.
Have you seen some of the stats, such as Lateral Gs and braking distances, for the SRT10?

Have you heard of the Competition Coupe? Ok it is not a street-orientated car and is designed to compete with the F360 CS and GT3, but it'd tear those two apart - and not just on the straights...

You can't really complain about the parts sharing of engines in American cars when European carmakers share engines. I.E. the Gallardo engine is going in some future Audi models. So if I buy a Lamborghini, I am getting an Audi engine... Poor logic. BHP/Litre means nothing, and the Viper engine is unstressed in stock form and has huge tuning potential. Just look at SVS and Heffner Performance and what they've done.
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I never said I knew anything about vettes cause I really don't. I thought c4 was like a performance designation like z was, however googling shows its a body style. When someone says C4 I think of something like this

And you are right I shouldn't base a opinion of a cars entire life cycle on one era, the current one might be really really nice for all I know, I have only ever been in a stock one of these

and never a Z variant.

And Blade where did I say I was against engine sharing? There is no reason to build a bespoke engine if there is one already around that works fine. However interior components are different, I was in HR Owens sitting in the gayardo, turned to the dealer and said "wow its just like being in a VW dealership" to which he had nothing to say. Its just embarrassing for everyone. Also I wouldnt have a problem with the HURR vette/mustang/viper crowd if they didnt shout "ITS CHEAPER THAN A FERRARI AND JUST AS FAST" every time a comparison is mentioned because its not a Ferrari is it.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
^ I agree. But Jax makes a good point about the Viper (SRT-10).

American cars are generally cheaper than their British counterparts, and I haven't the faintest idea why. I can't believe the Z06 gets 34mpg - no way. I was in a soppy 3.0 V6 S Type yesterday getting 18mpg. How can a 550hp car get 34?
It gets 34 mpg because the high torque allows for a really tall 6th gear. In 6th gear at 70 mph the engine is practically idling.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have mentioned this before, it only does 34mpg at a constant 56 mph when I looked, don't try thinking that is is combined figure like we use in the UK! EPA reports 16 mpg (US gallons of course) for city.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it only does 34mpg at a constant 56 mph
That should go without saying. Plus, I doubt anyone would actually be able to get those figures in the real world, it's just an interesting fact.

No, there's no American car like a Ferrari; whether it is faster than one or not. They just have different types of personalities, much like people. You just have to have a thing for muscle cars really, don't try to justify it or knock people who like them; they're not just for rednecks.

In the real world, I might lean more towards a muscle car than an expensive proper sports car or supercar. I mean, the muscle car will easily be able to match or better the acceleration of just about any car in the world, if set up properly. And yes, the sports car will have the beautiful interior and expensive look and sophistication; but if a Mustang were to blast past a Ferrari/Lambo in a little street race, none of these benefits would offer any comfort to the Ferrari driver at that time.

I'm not saying that muscle cars are better than these other cars, because it's just not true. It's just the way I look at it.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, and 16 US mpg = 20 UK mpg. Still not bad.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
That should go without saying.
When somneone informs you of your MPG, you never calculate it to an urban figure, which is what he has just done, or even worse, done it at the best rate a Z06 can do, which isn't without saying. So in other words, it can't do 34mpg.

We could all say a Ferrari could do 34mph in other words!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads