Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Recently my application for DSA was approved and later on this week I have a DSA Study Needs Assessment. I am curious to how the process as a whole works. I've seen a lot of questions about the DSA Assessments; the equipment that they may recommend you - how will this be done?
    I've visited some suppliers' websites and all require the form given by the DSA, whereas some people have had the money wired straight into their account.

Will all be explained to me at the Needs Assessment?

Besides the DSA approval form and medical evidence is there any other paperwork I should bring?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    i had an internal assessment at my college and found out that i am dyslectic and have the irlen syndrome. have booked a psychologist assessment and should have that in a couple of months but my college said i have to apply for the DSA because of the help i would be needing. i dont have any idea how this works and what i need to do, do i apply for DSA and student finance or is it the same thing? can someone help me plzz

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for student finance, it will ask you if you wish to apply for DSA. After you have completed you're student finance application, within a week you will receive a paper application form for you're DSA. You need to fill it out and send it back to Darlington with you're Diagnostic Assessment. Make sure you were 16 or older when you had this done. If you were under 16 when you had it done, you will have to have it done again. It will take them around 10 working days to assess you and decide if you are entitled to DSA. If you are, then you will get a letter telling you to book a Needs Assessment at a local centre. This is not a test, it is an informal chat with an assessor about what type of equipment will help you at HE. They will write a report and send it off to student finance. If they agree to the recommendations, you will receive another letter with a quote number, and you will then ring up the company they have chosen for you to get you're equipment from. Student Finance will pay the company direct. It takes around 14 weeks from applying for DSA to get you're equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisszzyy)
    Hi,

Recently my application for DSA was approved and later on this week I have a DSA Study Needs Assessment. I am curious to how the process as a whole works. I've seen a lot of questions about the DSA Assessments; the equipment that they may recommend you - how will this be done?
    I've visited some suppliers' websites and all require the form given by the DSA, whereas some people have had the money wired straight into their account.

Will all be explained to me at the Needs Assessment?

Besides the DSA approval form and medical evidence is there any other paperwork I should bring?

Thanks for your help
    Hi bud. Unless asked, you should not need to take anything with you, but on the safe side, I would recommend that you take copies of anything to do with you're DSA. The Needs Assessment is not a test or anything like that, it is just an informal chat about what equipment and/or 1-1 tuition could help you whilst you are in HE. I had mine in Manchester, and I found the experience to be quite useful. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Hi bud. Unless asked, you should not need to take anything with you, but on the safe side, I would recommend that you take copies of anything to do with you're DSA. The Needs Assessment is not a test or anything like that, it is just an informal chat about what equipment and/or 1-1 tuition could help you whilst you are in HE. I had mine in Manchester, and I found the experience to be quite useful. Good Luck.
    Hey,

I'll take the eligibility letter, my GPs letter and maybe some examples of my handwriting and past support I have received.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'll take the eligibility letter, my GPs letter and maybe some examples of my handwriting and past support I have received.

Thanks for your help
    Have the Needs Assessment place asked you to email any documents to them before you go to see them? I'm dyslexic, and my access centre wanted a copy of my diagnostic report a couple of days before my appointment.

ReputationRep:
    Have the Needs Assessment place asked you to email any documents to them before you go to see them? I'm dyslexic, and my access centre wanted a copy of my diagnostic report a couple of days before my appointment.
    Yeah; I have uploaded both my GPs letter in Medical evidence and the Eligibility letter however I'm guessing sometimes things can go missing?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah; I have uploaded both my GPs letter in Medical evidence and the Eligibility letter however I'm guessing sometimes things can go missing?
    Oh yes! Lol. I sent my forms in using recorded delivery, and took a copy just in case .

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for student finance, it will ask you if you wish to apply for DSA. After you have completed you're student finance application, within a week you will receive a paper application form for you're DSA. You need to fill it out and send it back to Darlington with you're Diagnostic Assessment. Make sure you were 16 or older when you had this done. If you were under 16 when you had it done, you will have to have it done again. It will take them around 10 working days to assess you and decide if you are entitled to DSA. If you are, then you will get a letter telling you to book a Needs Assessment at a local centre. This is not a test, it is an informal chat with an assessor about what type of equipment will help you at HE. They will write a report and send it off to student finance. If they agree to the recommendations, you will receive another letter with a quote number, and you will then ring up the company they have chosen for you to get you're equipment from. Student Finance will pay the company direct. It takes around 14 weeks from applying for DSA to get you're equipment.
    Ohh alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anytime

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.