Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i have gotten offers to study medicine in both cardiff and belfast!both medical schools are equally attractive to me!can u guys give ur thoughts on this?which one would u pick?if so,why??thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live currently? In the mainland UK or in Northern Ireland? That might play a large part in your decision, not only because of the patients you'll end up treating but also the logistics of living away from home at university is trickier (although also more fun IMO!)

What about the courses? PBL? Traditional? Integrated? Dissection? Prosection? Early clinical contact? Option to intercalate 3rd year? Structure?

All things to consider, but ultimately you'll get a very good medical education at either. It's up to you!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, I'm from N.Ireland and despise Belfast, just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same decision to make last year, but for me Cardiff was the obvious choice. I really wanted to get away from home, and although there was the option of living in halls at Queens, for me it would still feel like living at home. My old school is also opposite the university, so I'd be bumping into old teachers everyday.

Some people prefer to stay close to their families though, which I think is fair enough. Both medical schools are great, they both do dissection, and I guess it comes down to personal choice. If you're in a dilemma about whether to move out or not though, I would definitely recommend it. You learn so much about yourself, and personally, I'm really happy that I chose a university that is a bit further away from home. It has made me so much more independent.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, i am an international student. So i will be far away from home anyway!if given an opportunity, i would like to practise in UK!is there any specific reason to choose or not to choose either of the uni??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaybean)
    Actually, i am an international student. So i will be far away from home anyway!if given an opportunity, i would like to practise in UK!is there any specific reason to choose or not to choose either of the uni??
    Have a look at the cities and the courses and go from there. I see you started the "Cardiff or leeds" thread as well- Why not Belfast vs Leeds? You seem to like Cardiff so research more into all of them and make an informed decision.

There are so many posts of peoples opinion on their med school on this forum and online so it should be easy to get a lot of perspectives. I don't know anything about leeds but I'm at cardiff right now and it is a great med school. No matter what school you go to - You get taught the same curriculum but it different ways and order so this is why you have to see what city + course matches your preferences most. Don't bother with league tables.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.