Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi- so I want to do a law degree at uni (preferably oxbridge); and my AS levels include history- people say its really helpful for law, but im finding it really really difficult; source analysis (OCR 70 markers ) are my worst- im not getting A's, but I know I can my teacher said analysing sources is like lawyers analysing cases/statutes/rulings and that the evaluation is like what a lawyer does...

So, seeing as I suck at history, will I suck if I make it to uni to study law?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump bump

ReputationRep:
    bump bump bump

ReputationRep:
    One bump is enough for the time being, anyhow I want I do Law and going to do History myself

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    One bump is enough for the time being, anyhow I want I do Law and going to do History myself

USING THE TSR APP
    Thats not answered the question...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    Thats not answered the question...:confused:
    lulz sorry didn't read it properly, thought you might be in a hurry for an answer

- well I presume history is a reflection of how politics would be,

Are you good at essays?
    Do you enjoy writing?
    Can you debate well?

What particularly is it about history you don't like?

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    lulz sorry didn't read it properly, thought you might be in a hurry for an answer

- well I presume history is a reflection of how politics would be,

Are you good at essays?
    Do you enjoy writing?
    Can you debate well?

What particularly is it about history you don't like?

USING THE TSR APP
    Im good at other essay subjects like English and Philosophy, I definitely enjoy writing, I can dbate- I'm improving.

But history, the source analysis is tough- I'm not getting the grades I want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    Im good at other essay subjects like English and Philosophy, I definitely enjoy writing, I can dbate- I'm improving.

But history, the source analysis is tough- I'm not getting the grades I want
    Are you studying English Literature or Language?
    Anyhow, if you are good at either of them and Philosophy you should be at a good start for Law.
    My friend studies at Nottingham University, Law - she didn't even take History and I'm pretty sure my cousin was telling me many of her friends who study Law don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    oh cool; btw its Eng. Lit

ReputationRep:
    My teacher tells me with source analysis it either clicks straight away.. or doeen't. Fortunately this is my forte, I got like 95% in the History course essay.

But, I still don't understand what people find so difficult about it. You talk about what the source says, in your own words. Then you talk about how useful the source is, in answering the question or topic set. And then you talk about reliability of the source.

Usefulness is entirely dependant on the context. Does it answer the question? Does it answer the question from a different angle to other sources? Remember, the source's useful is determined not by the source, or the author, but by you in the context of the exam question.

Reliability is the easiest. Just talk anout the date of the source, anything during that time that would have affected it's reliability for example during the cold war, a hustorian from East Gerrmany would pethaps not be reliable because of pressure by the Soviets to produce pro-comminist works, and if not the threat of the Stasi (secret police).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    My teacher tells me with source analysis it either clicks straight away.. or doeen't. Fortunately this is my forte, I got like 95% in the History course essay.

But, I still don't understand what people find so difficult about it. You talk about what the source says, in your own words. Then you talk about how useful the source is, in answering the question or topic set. And then you talk about reliability of the source.

Usefulness is entirely dependant on the context. Does it answer the question? Does it answer the question from a different angle to other sources? Remember, the source's useful is determined not by the source, or the author, but by you in the context of the exam question.

Reliability is the easiest. Just talk anout the date of the source, anything during that time that would have affected it's reliability for example during the cold war, a hustorian from East Gerrmany would pethaps not be reliable because of pressure by the Soviets to produce pro-comminist works, and if not the threat of the Stasi (secret police).
    well you've just **** on my dreams...

ReputationRep:
    My guess would be that it's useful for a career in law insofar as, I would think, the same sorts of skills are required. I think natural ability will play a part in how easy you generally find it, but you can certainly improve your source analysis if you want to (for your exams, at least).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.