Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone this is my first post here. im currently in my third year doing my BA Business Law degree and i have my healthcare law and ethics exam on thursday. Im feeling pretty prepared but I just wanted some help with referencing in the exams.... as i do business i usually use harvard as in (smith, 2006) in the exam but i have been told by this lecturer not to use this and to use oscolea (when she was speaking about essay). Im not 100% what im going to do in exam and didnt know if it would be acceptable just to do for example... some argue bla bla1 and then at the bottom of the page just right smith, 2006... any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    We were told not to waste time and brain space on revising full references for case law, and in most cases it would be enough just to give the name of the case. However, depending on what questions get thrown at you its useful to know the Court the decision came from and possibly the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Kate*~)
    We were told not to waste time and brain space on revising full references for case law, and in most cases it would be enough just to give the name of the case. However, depending on what questions get thrown at you its useful to know the Court the decision came from and possibly the year.
    Thanks very much for your reply. As its a medical exam it's about euthanasia and breaching confidentiality ect so I have read some journals and remembered people's points of view to back up my argument such as- some argue killing my medical professionals is already happening (warnock,2006). I'm just unsure if I've to put it in brackets for put warnock 2006 At the bottom of the page like u would in an essay like footnotes. Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmx1)
    Thanks very much for your reply. As its a medical exam it's about euthanasia and breaching confidentiality ect so I have read some journals and remembered people's points of view to back up my argument such as- some argue killing my medical professionals is already happening (warnock,2006). I'm just unsure if I've to put it in brackets for put warnock 2006 At the bottom of the page like u would in an essay like footnotes. Hope that makes sense
    I would do it in brackets within what you're writing, or incorporate it into what you're writing, e.g. as Warnock noted in 2006... I wouldn't waste time with footnotes.

ReputationRep:
    Use Harvard in-text references not footnotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Use Harvard in-text references not footnotes.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    This.
    That.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    That.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    You don't reference in an exam! If you are referring to a case however I would usually just write the case name, and the year if I can remember it! Sometimes for cases that are so well know such as Alcock etc I would just write that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the requirements of your particular university/exam, but generally you don't need to reference. Case names are enough for cases. Articles perhaps try to be a bit more specific, but not much is needed by way of referencing.

Remembering a judge's name in a case is a good way to score a bit better though, particularly if you can mention some of their reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone again. The reason I wanted to reference is I asked my sister how she got her first class degree and she said she read lots of journals And remembered who said what And use these to back up her agruement. And as its an opinionated kind of exam I thought this would be useful. I wouldn't really do it in my next exam employment law as its not opinionated and its just law for example discrimination and redundancy ect but the questions that came up were.... End of life legislation should be passed. Discuss. And on what grounds might embryo selection (pre-implantation) be acceptable. So to really answer these I had to give arguments for an against and so instead of just coming up with these arguments myself I read journals And used these people's argument to back up my own and to sometimes go Against my aargument. It took me about 2 weeks studying every day all day so I just hope I've done the right thing and it wasn't a waste of time. These replies have worried me.

ReputationRep:
    In-text references (Like v This 1972) do not do the wikipedia thing!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.