Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am half way through the second semester of uni in my 1st year, and I have decided that uni aint for me. So i have decided to drop out at the end of this 1st year. But I am wondering, because I have dropped out, and does not have a degree, does this mean, i wont be able to get a decent job paying reasonable salary. For me, a reasonable salary would be earning £21k a year. I would like to reach this level of salary with about 5 years of experience. I am only 19 now. That should be an easy feat to achieve if you have a degree but since i am dropping out, I know it will be harder.
    So what are my career paths available?
    The most obvious one that came to my mind is to get a random job in a supermarket such as tesco or something and then work my way upto some kind of managerial position in 5 years or so. Another carrer that interests me is to be driving instructor. Legally it would take me another 2 years before i can become one, but If i do, It seems like driving instructors make some good money (£20 an hour). So What are some options which will allow me to earn around 21k in about 5 years time?

ReputationRep:
    Ever considered an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, skilled jobs such as builders can earn quite a lot but not sure how steady the work would be. Have you considered an apprenticeship? The NHS also offers jobs that would pay around £20k a year but you would have to be willing to work your way up. I've been here 4 years and I'm not on that pay , by the time I get to the top of my banding I will be.

ReputationRep:
    Continuing what RachaelBee said about builders, have you thought of brick laying or being an electrician (widely known for being well paid)? Brick layers get paid around .50p for a brick so putting up 400+ in a day would earn you a nice wage! Obviously you have to factor in rainy days though.

ReputationRep:
    Although driving instructors may charge £20 an hour there's fuel and insurance + the up keep of the car to consider which could add up quite quickly. Also there may be a lot of unsociable hour involved e.g. weekends if a lot of the people you're teaching are students. Good luck if thats what you want to to though

ReputationRep:
    Air traffic controller. Excellent pay although extremely stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Pilot, train driver, driller on an oil rig, military officer, police, fire service, ambulance service (although paramedics have to go to University now I think?), accountancy, retail management, pub management, fitness trainer, car sales, web design, hypnotherapist.

There are many career paths including well paid ones that don't require a degree. My sister never went to University, and earns around £28,000/year in retail management, her husband who did not go to University either earns £22,000 in the police. Neither have any debt and are on comparable salaries to graduates, however a graduates salary is likely to increase much more rapidly.

Thinking of friends of mine a few have gone into accountancy with on the job training, a few work as fitness/leisure instructors, many have gone into trades, a couple have gone into the military, a few are in general management. I'm one of the few who's stuck on minimum wage. Another friend of mine has just got a job as a trainee chef and he's 26, so there's always time for a change.

I'd always go down a route you like as opposed to doing something purely for the money. It's not always about the money.

ReputationRep:
    What are your strengths and what are you interested in? Some of the chartered accountancy firms run schemes those who have 'A' levels but no degree.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by InterviewAdvice)
    What are your strengths and what are you interested in?
    I think this is an important question. For example if you are strong numerically and keen on business (but don't like academia for whatever reason) then something like the Big 4 School leavers schemes are good. NB. They often want strong A Level results though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.