Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am half way through the second semester of uni in my 1st year, and I have decided that uni aint for me. So i have decided to drop out at the end of this 1st year. But I am wondering, because I have dropped out, and does not have a degree, does this mean, i wont be able to get a decent job paying reasonable salary. For me, a reasonable salary would be earning £21k a year. I would like to reach this level of salary with about 5 years of experience. I am only 19 now. That should be an easy feat to achieve if you have a degree but since i am dropping out, I know it will be harder.
    So what are my career paths available?
    The most obvious one that came to my mind is to get a random job in a supermarket such as tesco or something and then work my way upto some kind of managerial position in 5 years or so. Another carrer that interests me is to be driving instructor. Legally it would take me another 2 years before i can become one, but If i do, It seems like driving instructors make some good money (£20 an hour). So What are some options which will allow me to earn around 21k in about 5 years time?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any job would allow you to earn £21k in 5 years, if you are hard working and willing to get on. A degree doesn't entitle you to a high paying job. I know plenty of people with degrees, who aren't doing too well, but I know others who haven't got a degree who are doing work they like and getting paid handsomely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.