Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in an essay I am writing:
    "Shakespeare uses dramatic irony throughout the play to convey Iago's intelligence as he manages to gain the unwavering trust of all of the characters whilst secretly wrecking havoc on their lives."

Does this make sense? Or should I write:

"Iago is also very intelligent as he manages to gain the unwavering trust of all of the characters whilst secretly wrecking havoc on their lives. Shakespeare shows this through his use of dramatic irony."

Do either of these make sense? Is this a valid point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydofateapot)
    Hi, in an essay I am writing:
    "Shakespeare uses dramatic irony throughout the play to convey Iago's intelligence as he manages to gain the unwavering trust of all of the characters whilst secretly wrecking havoc on their lives."

Does this make sense? Or should I write:

"Iago is also very intelligent as he manages to gain the unwavering trust of all of the characters whilst secretly wrecking havoc on their lives. Shakespeare shows this through his use of dramatic irony."

Do either of these make sense? Is this a valid point?

I did Othello last year for higher english.

Are the two options above for an introduction or are they just key points within the essay?

If its just a key point then i'd go with the second phrase because when you say "Shakespeare shows this through his use of dramatic irony" you can then continue to give examples.

It has been a while since i did it but are you planning on talking about the small doubts that he places within othello's mind about the supposed infidelity of his wife desdemona? for example when Desdemona is talking to Cassio in the castle yard and Iago says "I like not that!" to convey to Othello that he believes there may be a more sinister reason to Cassio quickly leaving upon sight of Othello.

Or how he makes everyone befriend him such as Cassio, Othello and Desdemona?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Othello for Higher english too. It's to use as one of the key points but I'm not actually writing an essay I'm just writing a quote and analysis bank but I suppose I could use it in an essay to show Iago's character/appearance vs reality/why Othello is so easily consumed by jealousy (because he trust Iago) etc.

This is the paragraph I have come up with, what do you think?

Despite being untrustworthy and dishonest, Shakespeare’s effective use of dramatic irony also shows that Iago is also insanely intelligent as he successfully hides his deceit from all of the other characters. Speaking of Iago, Othello states:
    “A man he is of honesty and trust
    To his conveyance I assign my wife”
    This demonstrates the depth of Othello’s trust for Iago as he entrusts him with the life of his wife, his only love and passion, without any hesitation or doubt. Othello, and the other characters, also repeatedly refer to Iago as “honest Iago” throughout the play, showing that no one ever doubted him or suspected that he was up to something. This is an example of dramatic irony as Iago manages to gain the unwavering trust of all of the characters despite the audience knowing that he is secretly wreaking havoc on their lives. This therefore reveals his cunning intelligence.

(I would change it slightly depending on the essay question for example if I was talking about Othello trusting Iago being the reason he is consumed with jealousy)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sound good to me. I perhaps wouldn't write "insanely" when you were referring to his intelligence though.

As a pointer, definitely keep that "honest Iago", even though it is such a short quote, it says millions because almost every character says it at some point during the play, showing how easy it is for Iago to manipulate everyone into getting what he wants.

If not for this question but for another, keep in mind of Iago's soliloquies which brings out the true nature of his personality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.