Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I've applied for Computer Science with games programming course at University of Westminster, Kingston and City University. Now I have to choose wich one is the best. I know is an uncommon course, but I'd like even to know how are the two departments. I was thinking about westminster, but now then I have to decline the others I'm a little bit scared! Can you help me?

ReputationRep:
    up

How is the IT department at Kingston?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You've got a range of courses there. One practical issue to consider is what your expected grades are - City's requirements are substantially higher than the other two in practice.

Kingston and Westminster are similar institutions (though the two courses differ). It isn't clear why you prefer Westminster to Kingston, and I even have the impression you've got almost no knowledge of Kingston. I'll try and nutshell what they are - but you'd probably get more viewpoints if you were more precise in your interests and concerns.

Westminster's course is slightly more focussed than the other two, but has the disadvantage that Westminster is quite weakly ranked for computing degrees and research. Typically good, highly focussed, games degrees are Skillset endorsed, and this one isn't, which is a concern. It also has the worst employment statistics for the three courses, by some way.

City and Kingston's degrees are similar - computer science with a strong games element. Typically, this type of degree isn't Skillset endorsed, but is a safer choice in terms of more general career prospects.

Kingston is rather a different location to Westminster. Westminster's very much a city centre uni, while Kingston is in a more suburban area with a bit more space right by the Thames. It's a more highly rated institution than Westminster for computing, and has some really good lecturers. That's why its entry requirements are a bit higher than Westminster (2 grades higher in total), and it is seen as one of the better former polytechnics.

City, where I work (I don't teach undergraduates) is in Islington, and closer to Westminster in terms of campus (city centre). It's the highest ranked department, but also has the highest entry requirements (4 grades higher than Kingston). The CS with games degree is run by two guys who are active games programmers (with a number of successful games to their credit - e.g. Cricket Manager).

If you want a city centre university, it's probably between City and Westminster, but if you want to be out of the smoke a bit, Kingston's likely to be more your style. Westminster's got the (slightly) more focussed degree, but it is the weakest institution, whereas conversely City has the highest reputation, but also the toughest entry requirements. Kingston falls in the middle, but it's got a nice location and is known as a good department to be a student in. It gives City's course a good run for its money, if not quite matching it for employment in the end.

What are your main criteria for the course?

I hope this helps - all the best with your choice!

George

ReputationRep:
    First of all I really appreciate your explanation, I've found it enlightening.

I was focused on Kingston and Westminster because I had an unconditional offer from them, and later on I received a Conditional offer from the City and I can easily meet their requirements.

I liked the Westminster mainly for its location, but then I compared it with the Kingston and I was more likely to it, because my priorities are to gain a strong knowledge to work in the game industry. My only worry was the location (I don't live in UK, so moving to London will not be easy at the beginning).

Now I'm reconsidering the City University, I like it and I think that it can give me the proper skills to reach my dream job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now unconditional with City, thank you very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.