The Student Room Group

GCSE Grading

Hi everyone,

I'm doing my GCSE in Mathematics as an external candidate in the summer, I am doing practice papers and I'm doing quite well, the only question I have is:
Does any know how many marks I need to get to receive at least a C grade? Ideally, I'd like a B but I need to get at least a C!

I only ask so I can see how well my practice papers are actually going...!
Reply 1
Original post by teabythesea
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my GCSE in Mathematics as an external candidate in the summer, I am doing practice papers and I'm doing quite well, the only question I have is:
Does any know how many marks I need to get to receive at least a C grade? Ideally, I'd like a B but I need to get at least a C!

I only ask so I can see how well my practice papers are actually going...!

All of the grades are UMS (Uniform Marking Scheme) which means they vary paper to paper.

A rough guideline is

90% A*
80% A
70% B
60% C

But again, it varies.

Tom:smile:
Reply 2
If you're doing edexcel, when I did my exam in november it was 46/200 for a C, 83 for a B and A was 120 something.

However that was a hard exam which is why they were quite low, for a C its usually around 50-60
Reply 3
Oh wow, thank you both so much! I really can't express how much I appreciate your help.
Reply 4
Original post by dathtom
All of the grades are UMS (Uniform Marking Scheme) which means they vary paper to paper.

A rough guideline is

90% A*
80% A
70% B
60% C

But again, it varies.

UMS grade boundaries don't change, they are the same for every subject, every exam board and every exam season (and are what you put). What does change is the raw to UMS grade boundaries. However, Maths is about the only subject which (for linear specs) doesn't work on UMS marks but has grade boundaries which do change every exam season.

You can check the grade boundaries for each past paper on the exam board website.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
grade boundaries for a B/C are generally quite low, depending on your board
I'm doing IGCSE Edexcel and I need 35% ish for a C

USING THE TSR APP

Quick Reply

Latest