Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a long time student room lurker, spurred into making an account by my need of advice.

Basically, in 8 days I have my AS level German speaking exam (Exam board WJEC) and I've essentially done no preparation bar the in lesson activities, I've just been focusing on other subjects.

I've found the WJEC website to be less helpful than some of the other exam boards websites and I'm basically looking for any advice anyone can give me, even if you don't do german and do another language, anything I can do to prepare for the speaking would be very helpful indeed!

Also I have my German Listening/reading/writing exam coming up and once again I'm fairly clueless as to how to revise, I use memrise quite a lot and I'd say my vocabulary is fairly wide. Apart from that I don't know how else to revise for a language so any help and advice is very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    For the oral/listening bits - just surround yourself with the sound of German. Find YouTube videos, get German radio online, listen to German music (if you like that sort of thing!). You'll get a feel for how your accent should sound and you'll get into the 'German mindset'. When I did A Level German my teacher encouraged us to watch kids' news - the language wasn't too difficult and the topics were always fun. I don't know if they still exist but ZDF's logo! news podcasts were great for revising.

I assume you'll get certain topics in the oral? You say your vocabulary's good so if you've got the specific vocab down for any topics that might come up, that's the biggest hurdle out of the way

For the writing bit - ask your teachers if they have any past papers available, so you can practise structuring essays and 'get to know' the paper a bit.

And for all of it, grammar is important! There are lots of websites to practise grammar and it really helps make your German more sophisticated. Most people on my course hate the grammar part, but it's worth putting in the effort. (I'm a real grammar nerd, sorry :P)

I hope this wasn't too long and I hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I did AS German with WJEC last year, and I was really worried about revision as well. It's so difficult to revise for a language!

What I found useful was going through each of the topics in the textbook, and just trying to talk generally about them. Any words or structures I wanted to use but didn't know, I looked up and use them. With 8 days to prepare, there isn't much use in making huge lists of vocab and learning them all, as most of it you won't use. I found that really helped me narrow down what I actually needed to know.

Also, try talking to the other people in class in German, even if you're not in lessons. On Facebook, or texting or just around school or whatever, just use German, as you'll get into the habit of speaking German, so when you get into the exam, it'll be easier, the German will just roll off your tongue more easily. Also, if you come across something you don't quite know how to say, it'll give you practice in expressing it in different ways using the words/structures you do know.

For the L/R/W exam, go through the chapters again, and formulate points on each of the topics, so you have some basic ideas you can throw straight into the essay (but when you do, make sure you link them to the title). Do a few listening exercises as practice, the files are probably online somewhere, our school put them up on our website for us. Try reading some German news articles to practice for the comprehension tasks (Welt Online and Der Spiegel are great, and Spiegel has a really good mobile app), and have a go at translating a few in preparation for the translation tasks. And for the grammar tasks, just go through the grammar section at the back of your book (I'm assuming there is one, there is in most books), and learn things like your der, die, das tables, verb and adjective endings, prepositions, stuff like that (I found the best way for me to learn them was repeating them over in my head really quickly in a list).

With the L/R/W exam, it may seem like there's lot to do, but the good thing about languages is you can do revision little and often and it's much more effective. Hope this helps, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you both for your help! You've given me loads of ways I can revise, cheers (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.