Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what I should expect for a OX Postgrad interview.

I am a foreigner and do not know much about it.

Course: MSc Management The interview day will be conducted at Said Business School so I assume it will be different than undergrad interviews ( by college).
    Do you think the colleges taht I chose would be of relevant importance for their decision.

Magdalen
    Templeton
    Balliol
    St Annes

Any Tips, advices?

How can I prepare?
    What kind of behaviour should I adopt?
    What to wear?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you should appear as professional/academic (i.e. try to come across as confident and ready to argue a point, but not cocky). What they look for is people who are passionate about their subject. As one of our professors (who came to Essex from Cambridge at the beginning of the year) said; if you really want to pursue a subject at postgraduate level, you have to have 'a fire in your belly'.
    From what I gather college choice is not as important for postgraduates as for undergraduates. But I'm sure you know why you picked these colleges anyway.
    Don't worry too much (I guess that depends on what type of person you are). I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trader007)
    Can anyone tell me what I should expect for a OX Postgrad interview.

I am a foreigner and do not know much about it.

Course: MSc Management The interview day will be conducted at Said Business School so I assume it will be different than undergrad interviews ( by college).
    Do you think the colleges taht I chose would be of relevant importance for their decision.

Magdalen
    Templeton
    Balliol
    St Annes

Any Tips, advices?

How can I prepare?
    What kind of behaviour should I adopt?
    What to wear?
    Pick a college tgars East to get in, Magdalen and Balliol are HARDER to get in than some of the other colleges...Magdalen and Balliol are one of the prettiest colleges in Oxford and they tend to attract more applicants...i don't know what colleges are easier to get into for postgraduate studies.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. From what I know it's not really important whether you pick the colleges that are easy to get into for postgraduates. I've read on a similar thread (can't rememberwhere) that Oxford does what I know Cambridge does: i.e. if you get an offer from your faculty/department, you are guaranteed a college place, even if the colleges you stated on your application form don't accept you in the first place. Means that you can put down the best colleges on your form regardless of competition, as it's always wprth a try - and if they don't accept you than another one (selected by the University Admissions people) will. As I said that's definitely how it works for Cambridge; not completely sure about Oxford, but I remember reading something similar on several occasions.

ReputationRep:
    Found what I was looking for: the process for Oxford is similar. Your application (for most subjects) will be considered by the colleges you state on your form, if all of them reject you the University will pass the application to other colleges. However, as opposed to Cambridge, they do not guarantee you that they will get you a college place. They say that there may be a small number of cases in which they might not be able to find a college for you.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.