Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ideally what would be the minimum UKCAT score, GCSE's and A-Levels you would consider when applying for Medicine?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi westarmy,

You can find the full admissions criteria for our MBChB Medicine & Surgery Course online here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admi.../criteria.html

I've outlined the main points below:
    A-Levels
    AAA, to include Chemistry. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted. All other subjects are acceptable, apart from the combinations:
    -Chemistry & Biology & Human Biology
    -Chemistry & Maths & Further Maths

Those taking a fourth A2 subject will not be at an advantage over those taking three.

GCSEs
    A minimum of 6 grade Bs, to include English, Mathematics, and either Dual/Double Science or Chemistry any Biology.

UKCAT
    There is no predetermined cut-off score for the UKCAT. The scores are considered then the assessors look at the whole of the application - including personal statement, academic background and referee's statement.

For anyone else reading, we do accept other qualifications, for the full admissions criteria please visit http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admi.../criteria.html

I hope that answers your question, let me know if you think of anything else.

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much.
    The links are very helpful and I've booked an open day visit so hopefully I'll be able to present a strong application when I apply.
    1 more thing, if a family member studied at the university previously would it be 'silly' to mention them in your personal statement indirectly?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've put your second question to the medicine admissions team - and will get back to you next week.

Thanks

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi - sorry for the incredibly slow reply!

I've spoken to the admissions team, and their advice is not to include it. Not because it would go for/against you, but because your personal statement is so limited on space, you need to be using all the space you do have to tell us about YOU. It's great that you're considering the same university as your family, and obviously their passion for Leeds has transferred onto you, but when it comes to your application, you need to be devoting 100% of the personal statement to you, your skills, your work experience and your passion.

Not sure if your family are still connected to Leeds, but if you can encourage them to get in touch, I know the Alumni Team would love to hear from them: www.leeds.ac.uk/alumni

Amanda

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.