Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've had my S2 for just over a year (Got it at the start of May 2012).

However for the past 4/5 maybe even 6 months my screen has started to become unresponsive and freeze for around 10/15 mins at a time.
    Recently it has been doing it a lot more often and is becoming quite irritating in all honesty.

The only way to unfreeze my phone now is to take the battery out and put it back in and wait for it to restart. This has to be done every time it freezes now.
    I have plenty of memory 16GB internal memory and a 32GB external SD card.

It will do it on simple tasks such as opening a text/email to reply.
    Opening an app such as facebook/twitter/tsr.
    Or sometimes just freeze on the home screen, and reload the icons (like it does when you switch it on)
    I calibrate my screen regularly, however it still is never quite precise and seems to sometimes pick up the letter or option above or below where you are pressing or just not respond to touch at all.
    I have recently updated the softwear to the latest version.

I rang my network provider and all they told me to do was to do a factory reset and this would solve the issue with my screen.
    They did say it was under warranty for two years so it shall be covered.

Can anyone give any advice as to whether a factory reset would do anything?
    Any experience with Virgin mobile in resolving / replacing handsets etc??

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I can think of is a factory reset. I've never had anything like this on my S2, it does freeze but very rarely and it's to be expected since my phone has been through a lot.

If you have anything important on your phone (pictures, videos etc..) Back them up on your PC. You can put the contacts onto a SIM.

The factory reset should sort your phone out in most cases. It'll wipe the phone and so will hopefully sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    The only thing I can think of is a factory reset. I've never had anything like this on my S2, it does freeze but very rarely and it's to be expected since my phone has been through a lot.
    Agree with the above, I was experiencing similar problem with S2, when I owned one, and after the factory reset I did not face any problems. If you do face any problems, you can take it to your nearest Samsung service center (don't know about Virgin Mobile) and they will probably replace it for a new one.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I had the exact same problem with my s2, and I done a factory reset. (First back up everything)

It still freezes on me particilarly when I am doing "heavy" data stuff, but its dramatically decreased.

Previsously it would freeze at least once a day, now its like once a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3raindrops)
    Hey! I had the exact same problem with my s2, and I done a factory reset. (First back up everything)

It still freezes on me particilarly when I am doing "heavy" data stuff, but its dramatically decreased.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try Rooting it and flashing a custom ROM, it will sort most of the problems it also depends if your S2 is I9100 or I9100G, the G version which came later was not the best version out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdroid)
    Try Rooting it and flashing a custom ROM, it will sort most of the problems it also depends if your S2 is I9100 or I9100G, the G version which came later was not the best version out there.
    Be careful when doing that, it voids your warranty. I've done it and haven't looked back but it's different for everyone depending whether you have warranty or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    So I've had my S2 for just over a year (Got it at the start of May 2012).

However for the past 4/5 maybe even 6 months my screen has started to become unresponsive and freeze for around 10/15 mins at a time.
    Recently it has been doing it a lot more often and is becoming quite irritating in all honesty.

The only way to unfreeze my phone now is to take the battery out and put it back in and wait for it to restart. This has to be done every time it freezes now.
    I have plenty of memory 16GB internal memory and a 32GB external SD card.

It will do it on simple tasks such as opening a text/email to reply.
    Opening an app such as facebook/twitter/tsr.
    Or sometimes just freeze on the home screen, and reload the icons (like it does when you switch it on)
    I calibrate my screen regularly, however it still is never quite precise and seems to sometimes pick up the letter or option above or below where you are pressing or just not respond to touch at all.
    I have recently updated the softwear to the latest version.

I rang my network provider and all they told me to do was to do a factory reset and this would solve the issue with my screen.
    They did say it was under warranty for two years so it shall be covered.

Can anyone give any advice as to whether a factory reset would do anything?
    Any experience with Virgin mobile in resolving / replacing handsets etc??
    If it's still under warranty then just let them fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3raindrops)

That's still not right. Especially if you haven't messed about with it like I did.

When you say heavy data do you mean ram draining apps?

ReputationRep:
    That's still not right. Especially if you haven't messed about with it like I did.

When you say heavy data do you mean ram draining apps?
    I know this isnt for me but.

I close apps after using them via task manager.
    But it doesnt freeze on apps just on anything tbh. Even when unlocking it.
    Nor have I changed anything on it.
    Apart from system updates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this isnt for me but.

I close apps after using them via task manager.
    But it doesnt freeze on apps just on anything tbh. Even when unlocking it.
    Nor have I changed anything on it.
    Apart from system updates

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that may be the reason...system updates.

Was it from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that may be the reason...system updates.

Was it from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its not the latest OS so I dont think its ICS still on Gingerbread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its not the latest OS so I dont think its ICS still on Gingerbread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm that's pretty weird. These sort of issues alongside heavy battery draining can occur due to a 'bad' update.

You'll always get one dud phone among a few thousand and it seems like you've got it

You've done factory reset etc? It's not rooted with cwm is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm that's pretty weird. These sort of issues alongside heavy battery draining can occur due to a 'bad' update.

You'll always get one dud phone among a few thousand and it seems like you've got it

You've done factory reset etc? It's not rooted with cwm is it?
    Yerhh my battery does tend to die really quickly.
    It just seems to have a massive drain from around 70% to 40% in the space of an hour.

Not as far as I know its not rooted with cwm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yerhh my battery does tend to die really quickly.
    It just seems to have a massive drain from around 70% to 40% in the space of an hour.

Not as far as I know its not rooted with cwm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then it might just be your upgrade to whatever version may not have gone smoothly...

Hmm if you root it, you can get titanium backup and back all your apps along with their saved data then completely wipe your phone and put on a new (and better) ROM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then it might just be your upgrade to whatever version may not have gone smoothly...

Hmm if you root it, you can get titanium backup and back all your apps along with their saved data then completely wipe your phone and put on a new (and better) ROM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm.
    Think ill be able to upgrade in 9 months or so.. (Unless you have to stick to the full 24m contract if switching network providers)
    So may just stick it out and get whatever the lastest model of Iphone is then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.
    Think ill be able to upgrade in 9 months or so.. (Unless you have to stick to the full 24m contract if switching network providers)
    So may just stick it out and get whatever the lastest model of Iphone is then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if memory serves correct you can upgrade a little while before your contract finishes.
    Not going to stick to Android?

ReputationRep:
    Well if memory serves correct you can upgrade a little while before your contract finishes.
    Not going to stick to Android?
    No, im not really into the whole customisable widgets things.
    Ive just got my s2 with pages of icons and then some folders for thing such as social media, banking apps etc.

Getting an Ipad mini next week so it will be good to be able to sync everything together without having to use several programmes to do it.

Another reason im not going to stick with andriod is I dont like the layout of windows phones, how its all just one long page my friend has a nokia lumia and I hate using it for things.
    I've had a htc before whilst it was okay it was just full of problems and my screen didnt last that long and it was also a windows phone (however set up very much like pc windows)

And the new samsung phones are just ridiculously huge (I mean its nearly 5" diagonally, got to think about how it will fit into your tiny going out bag - female problems :rollseyes: )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.