Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Advice needed on funding if you would be so kind!

I have decided to go back to school. After working for 10 years in jobs I hate I want to finally do something I'm passionate about.

I'm so set on doing this that I've applied (and been accepted) to college, I've told my employer, family and friends and I am hunting for accommodation and part time jobs. However, the more I plan this, the scarier it's becoming.

Here are my finances and worries laid bare:

I have no savings nor do I have wealthy parents to help me out. My course would only allow me to work 3-4 days a week, in, I imagine, a minimum wage job. I currently live in Leeds and will be leaving a well-paying job to relocate to East London in order to take the course at Newham college. I will have to pay for the course myself as I have 11 GCSE's grade B-E putting me in the Level 2 category, not eligible for over 19’s funding. The course is going to cost c£750.

My course is a pre-apprenticeship which is due to last 18 weeks (15 hours over 3 days), beyond which, I will hopefully get an apprenticeship (even scarier finances!). Should I fail to earn an apprenticeship, I will be returning to college the next academic year to complete the next level available, again putting me in the same financial position.
    I don’t qualify for a student loan due to the course being entry level. A personal loan will have interest and be required to be paid back as soon as granted and there’s no guarantee I’ll get one. I’m still waiting for confirmation on the PCDL. As my course is not vocational, it’s unlikely. I have some existing personal debt which I will have to continue to pay throughout my course and apprenticeship. Accommodation in London is NOT cheap and whilst I will be looking to house share with friends, my rental outgoings not including bills is going to be c£600 by the looks of things. I will need to pay for course materials, any additional course fees and of course, I would ideally like to eat during this time.

How am I going to do this? I’ve been given turn2us and Family Action details and told to contact my LEA to see if they can help; whilst these may help with some elements it’s not going to cover everything, not even the course fees. My dream and years goals seem to be escaping me.

I could whack it all on credit cards but we know that’s a sorry story.

Any advice you are able to offer, would be much, much appreciated....
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Vodbee,

Unfortunately there isn't any advice that I can give you regarding your situation. I'm not a financial adviser I can only give information and advice about eligibility to Higher Education finance however as your course is classed as Further Education this is outside my experience unfortunately.

The first stop would probably be the college itself as they will likely have encountered other students that have been in a similar situations as yourself and they might be able to let you know about any financial support they're aware of.

Really sorry I can't be of more help to you and best of luck with your course,
    Mark-Lee

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.