Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My book says entropy is 'the degree of disorder' but also says it's also 'the dispersal of energy'. I don't know if I understood this correctly, can someone please check? So basically when a chemical substance goes from order to disorder the amount of energy it posses doesn't change (it wouldn't make sense if it did) but the kinetic energy increases as it's bound to less atoms so less restricted? Is this right?

ReputationRep:
    celina u are fit

ReputationRep:
    entropy just means randomness from what i remember (i.e. no order). dispersal of energy just means the energy in a particular area isn't constant (it will keep changing) - which makes sense since particles are moving randomly

ReputationRep:
    Entropy is at it's most simplest a measure of disorder and more disordered systems have a lower energy density (energy per thing such as an atom, particle, molecule etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    entropy just means randomness from what i remember (i.e. no order). dispersal of energy just means the energy in a particular area isn't constant (it will keep changing) - which makes sense since particles are moving randomly

(Original post by nicatre)
    Entropy is at it's most simplest a measure of disorder and more disordered systems have a lower energy density (energy per thing such as an atom, particle, molecule etc)
    But how do the molecules/ atoms gain more energy when they go from a solid to gas for example. I don't understand where this energy comes from.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by celina10)
    But how do the molecules/ atoms gain more energy when they go from a solid to gas for example. I don't understand where this energy comes from.
    essentially the energy input into the system is also giving it more ways for the energy in that system to be distributed and thus a higher level of disorder. The energy is input into the system from outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)
    because to go from solid to gas u NEED energy (e.g. heat), and energy cannot be lost.

for example if u heated up an ice cube (solid) to water (liquid), you have given it thermal energy. if u then heat up water (liquid) to steam (gas), you have given it more thermal energy.

therefore it has more energy now as a gas than it did as a solid (which is why gas particles move, solid particles remain fixed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    essentially the energy input into the system is also giving it more ways for the energy in that system to be distributed and thus a higher level of disorder. The energy is input into the system from outside.

(Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    because to go from solid to gas u NEED energy (e.g. heat), and energy cannot be lost.

for example if u heated up an ice cube (solid) to water (liquid), you have given it thermal energy. if u then heat up water (liquid) to steam (gas), you have given it more thermal energy.

therefore it has more energy now as a gas than it did as a solid (which is why gas particles move, solid particles remain fixed)
    Oh I get it thank you for your answers guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.