Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think if the government invested more money into these places instead of police on the streets to keep an eye on kids then we'd have less of a problem.

There are many times where I have nothing to do and a place where I could meet others my age and do new things would be great. However, I simply don't know of any youth clubs (well, maybe one though it's bus journey away) and at the same time I'm a little on the fence with hanging around people around my area because the seem a little undesirable to me with the attitude.

It would be great if we had more of these social areas in town centres to let teenagers pre-occupy themselves with. It would also be a great way for people to make new friends since a lot of us know how much growing up is difficult.

ReputationRep:
    You could revise like the rest of us or go on tsr.
    This whole I have nothing to do attitude is junk.

Go out and revise I say, learn those case studies, do those past papers

Admit it we are only on tsr because we are slightly bored of revision

ReputationRep:
    no.

So taxpayer should subsidies your boredom?

Get a part-time job!

ReputationRep:
    C'mon people, you have to do better than that! I don't have a job though I'm searching and also applying to lots of apprenticeships. As for studying, I'm not in college at the moment though I have an interview for a course next week.

If people have the time to go to the cinema, pup, read or watch TV then you have the time to go to a youth club if a youth club is there. There's no need to act high and mighty, it does nothing for this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's a few in my area one of my friends volunteers in one and apparently they do well, friendly environments to. They had them them when I was younger but they were rough back then so I never botherd. If they were friendly I wouldve gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes!! They definitely do. In my area (south of Birmingham) there are several council run ones and also most Churches run youth clubs. This might be worth looking into even if you have no interest in religion becuase often they do not really have any religious content. I used to go to a youth club at my local church on Friday nights where we played sports, video games and ate far too many sweets! Another option is uniformed organisations like guiding, scouting, girls brigade and boys brigade which can all be a lot of fun!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 14 I was more interested in drinking bottles of Frosty Jacks with my friends and trying to get someone to buy me cigarettes in the local shop, I don't think I would have chosen a youth club over that. Sounds bad now but it was good fun at the time, albeit not clean fun.

ReputationRep:
    Youth clubs when I was a young teen (and that was only about 4/5 years ago) were very dangerous and full of gang bangers. You think this will help the issue?

ReputationRep:
    There's a youth club in my town that I was a member of and now volunteer at.

It's quite oversubscribed from what I remember and they've had to fight hard to remain open after the council were planning to sell the building they meet in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou)
    I think if the government invested more money into these places instead of police on the streets to keep an eye on kids then we'd have less of a problem.

There are many times where I have nothing to do and a place where I could meet others my age and do new things would be great. However, I simply don't know of any youth clubs (well, maybe one though it's bus journey away) and at the same time I'm a little on the fence with hanging around people around my area because the seem a little undesirable to me with the attitude.

It would be great if we had more of these social areas in town centres to let teenagers pre-occupy themselves with. It would also be a great way for people to make new friends since a lot of us know how much growing up is difficult.
    I think it would be a waste of money to spend cash on this really; it's just a place so 16+ kids can try and sell drugs to younger kids. I went to one once it was the most uneventful thing in my life. £3 for a J20:eek:

I know we have a problem withkids on the streets now but 'kids clubs' won't change this.

Why can't teenagers pre-oc their own time. I did, and I guess most of you on here are not the type of people throwing snowballs at passing cars.

Waste of time IMO:cool:
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Moved this to Advice on everyday issues

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they are basically gay clubs now.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a youth club for a couple years, back in the day but they kept nearly getting closed down

It was really nice (although when it ran, everyone automatically split into two groups, 'chavs' and 'skaters') and they gave us pizza and pasta and things and had a wii and video games and stuff as well as the guys who run it who helped kids do art awards and projects and stuff. It was a really good community methinks. You paid £1 to get in, to help cover the food costs and that was it

It's been running for years (my driving instructor used to go there!) and I think they're still fighting to keep it going They also ran days for older onces, younger ones, sexual health awareness once a week, drug/alcohol awareness once a week and then days for creative projects and stuff

It was a proper community; not seedy or crummy but a nice place to be with your friends when school finished once or twice a week. (Ahw, memories)

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has attended youth clubs and also as a CLD student I think there is a lot that can be said for youth provison, particuarly in more deprived areas. I honestly think more cash should be injected into youth services in general, some local authorities are great at providing good service but others are really lacking. It would be great to have some universal standards x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling, why not consider a young offender's institute?

...Friendship awaits :cute:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.