Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My son had to re sit some of his first year course at University during 2012/13. I was under the impression that Saas covered Univ fees but have just been told that the full course amount plus penalty for late payment needs to be paid immediately.

I have very little savings, not enough to cover the fees, son only works part time 8 hours a week and I dont have a clue what to do.

Before anyone says anything, I did not attend Univ, my husband did not either so this is all new to us.

Can he take a loan out to cover this and pay back after his course??

Have contacted Saas but not had a reply yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minmouse 1971)
    My son had to re sit some of his first year course at University during 2012/13. I was under the impression that Saas covered Univ fees but have just been told that the full course amount plus penalty for late payment needs to be paid immediately.

I have very little savings, not enough to cover the fees, son only works part time 8 hours a week and I dont have a clue what to do.

Before anyone says anything, I did not attend Univ, my husband did not either so this is all new to us.

Can he take a loan out to cover this and pay back after his course??

Have contacted Saas but not had a reply yet.
    Did your son provde his university will all the details they need from SAAS?
    You usually need to bring your form with your details of the course, the funding you'll receive and you SAAS reference number to registration or provide it online if registration is electronic.

I think the best thing to do is call up the university and ask them what details they have on file with regards to your son's finances. If they do not have his SAAS details on record, then give them his reference number (should be on the awards notice he received before uni) and see if SAAS will still pay for the course fees. You may have to pay the late penalty though if you failed to give them the information.

If they do have his SAAS details on record and then you'll have to contact SAAS to make sure they have supplied his university with the fees. It shouldn't make a difference if he has resits because I've had resits before and it hasn't affected my finance.

This is just what I'd do, its not set in stone that this will work but its worth a shot. Hope everything works out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I have already contacted the University and basically they want the money as they have not received the funding. Have emailed SAAS as can not get through on the phone.
    He showed me an email from Saas saying that as he was now part time ( ie repeating part of first year) they would not fund it but it appears now he never followed it up.
    The most annoying thing is I am sitting here up to 90 and he is away to his band practise.

Am going to try and phone SAAS as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and hopefully get through to them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by minmouse 1971)
    Thanks for the reply. I have already contacted the University and basically they want the money as they have not received the funding. Have emailed SAAS as can not get through on the phone.
    He showed me an email from Saas saying that as he was now part time ( ie repeating part of first year) they would not fund it but it appears now he never followed it up.
    The most annoying thing is I am sitting here up to 90 and he is away to his band practise.

Am going to try and phone SAAS as soon as I get home from work tomorrow and hopefully get through to them.
    Have you been able to get in touch with SAAS yet? Hope everything gets worked out!

ReputationRep:
    Saas have advised they will not fund his course as he was only doing 70 credits this year. They admitted that should have advised him about this in September and told us about a part time grant he could have applied for in Sept. He only has £150.00 in savings so I have had to arrange a bank loan to pay for it. Waiting for it to come through as we speak. Really wish they would keep parents in the loop with these things as they ask for proof of salary and want all our personal details but dont tell us when any problems arise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.