Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, well tbh i feel like i have screwed up a bit, to start i really dislike all my AS subjects (it, biology, physics and the worst geography) the only one i am good at is IT, the rest i kinda suck at and have no motivation for. the only issue is i dont know what to do with IT as it is really my only option. what carers can i get out of it?
    Another thing i was wondering was that at GCSE i always wanted to take history instead of geography, there is no way of me being able to take it now as it is too late, but once i finish my A2 is there a way of me getting a qualification is history as i am very much intrested in it and want to learn?

thanks for any replys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzapc)
    hi guys, well tbh i feel like i have screwed up a bit, to start i really dislike all my AS subjects (it, biology, physics and the worst geography) the only one i am good at is IT, the rest i kinda suck at and have no motivation for. the only issue is i dont know what to do with IT as it is really my only option. what carers can i get out of it?
    Another thing i was wondering was that at GCSE i always wanted to take history instead of geography, there is no way of me being able to take it now as it is too late, but once i finish my A2 is there a way of me getting a qualification is history as i am very much intrested in it and want to learn?

thanks for any replys
    If you have very little to no motivation for your subjects and you feel that you aren't achieving your best then perhaps you may want to consider resitting the year (year 12) and choosing subjects that you are more interested in. This may feel bad - but taking action, responsibility and prioritising your education is nothing to be ashamed of. Being a year older should no be a major issue, although you will not be with your year-group friends as much. Alternatively you could take up other further-study options (such as some Btec subjects) if you think that A levels are not for you.

Otherwise, you could stick with the subjects. Probably drop Geography, and possibly study some AS History if your school allows it. Once you have completed your A2s then you could take up History courses in your own time - for example through the open University or by attending night school later in life.

Personally, I feel that the cleanest way forward may just be to redo the year with different subject options, but it is of course completely up to you

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who was studying IT at A-level and is now at university studying Computer Science and hopes to gain a career in systems analysis, apparently the pay is pretty good as well.

If you're unable to change on to the History course then you might want to consider looking for a local exams centre. They will let you take the History GCSE exams or A-level exams, depending on what qualification you want at the exams centre and there might even be a tutor there that can teach you History part-time while your still at college doing your A-levels. Considering you're already taking up biology and physics, a GCSE in History would be probably seem easy for yourself, you could probably teach yourself with the right books and just go in for the exams at an exams centre.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.